• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon 1/7/10

Bumpsis

Cannon trip report, Thursday 1/7/10

Conditions: Packed powder, hard packed, windblown loose pow, grass, rocks. Natural cover trails were in rough shape. Triails that received grooming and snow making were in much better shape.
The snow that came came last weekend, where it did get packed down, skied really well, with the ususal exception of Middle Cannon Bypass and MIddle - Lower Cannon. Since these trails funnel most of the traffic, they get iced up really fast.

Got there late, almost mid day. It was sunny until we hit Franconia Notch. Thick cloud shrouded the top of the mountain, visibility was better on the lower part. Windy on top with some ppt (goggles would get covered with sticky snow although it really wasn't snowing, just blowing stuff arround).

Despite the low visibilty on the upper mountain, we took a few of runs. Good, but firm cover on Skylight, Upper Hardscrabble (lower parts were ratther scraped up - grass, occasional rocks), Upper Cannon and Tramway. The last two had some nicely blown loose snow on the left sides of the trails. However, due to poor visibilty it was difficult to get some speed going since you really could see much ahead of you and the skiing was mostly responsive to what the legs were telling you.

Best conditions on trails off Zoomer chair, namely Zoomer and Rocket (snow making in progress). Both trails had nice moguls on their sides, especially Rocket. Pauline's Folly was a disaster - moguls with grass/bare ground in between.

Did not bother with Miitersill. Good day for first time out. Gotta love the twofer deal. I like what they did with the new lodge.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Thanks, very specific, very helpful.
Considering this for Sunday. Mob scene prolly at Loon, getting the entourage to travel further is not looking good.

Please comment on Cannon's conditions report today: "Many of our other trails are in their natural state with lingering powder from the big storm. "

Bumpsis

Thanks, very specific, very helpful.
Considering this for Sunday. Mob scene prolly at Loon, getting the entourage to travel further is not looking good.

Please comment on Cannon's conditions report today: "Many of our other trails are in their natural state with lingering powder from the big storm. "

Well, the only powder that's lingering is only on the trees and I really mean "on" the trees like branches. It looks quite pretty but doesn't do much for your boards. Take Cannon's report as a light hyperbole.

Perhaps the glades still have some lines that are worth going for, but I wouldn't know. It was way too foggy during my visit to duck into the woods. Plus, I'm not really a big fan of tight trees unless I'm the one who's cutting the first tracks.

iSki

Thanks. Me thinks that Bretton Woods might have good snow, not factoring in anything else. they got a nice 5" last night
Taking a break to warm up now. Smoked mid scrabble blue balls red run 5 times on fresh 5". It's a bit tracked up now. Will prolly try upper hard scrabble later. Overall I think they got 3-5" overnight.

evile

I was there yesterday (Fri 1/08 ) and it was snowing light fluffy stuff all day. There was around 3" on the car when I left at 4:00 and it was coming down pretty good. Top of the mountain was completely fogged in most of the day, could not see a bloody thing. Mittersill was worth the hike, plenty of fresh stuff over there. I agree on the new lodge, great beer selection if you're into that kind of thing.