• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Intel ?

KustyTheKlown

Outside of soft spring days, that trail is perhaps the shittiest windblown trail in the east or at least top 5.

it looked LETHAL on saturday. so much glare you needed to lower your goggles while riding the lift over it. was closed. never softened. even in the bright warm PM sun.

snoseek

I'll defend cannon till the end of time but yeah that trails almost always suck. Also profile can get really awful.

snoseek

The middle of the mtn can get weird sometimes. Normal weekday it's no big deal but I imagine Saturday's it get messy through there.

On a separate note the midweek volume seems way up this year. I want to say cannon had a decent year all things considered. They ran it well and won my business back

KustyTheKlown

The middle of the mtn can get weird sometimes. Normal weekday it's no big deal but I imagine Saturday's it get messy through there.

On a separate note the midweek volume seems way up this year. I want to say cannon had a decent year all things considered. They ran it well and won my business back

my first and only day there this season was this past Saturday. they were 'sold out' in advance. the summit chair had some waits, but definitely nothing crazy, and zoomer and peabody were never more than 3-5 minutes or so. mittersill was ski on when i bounced over there at peak hours to avoid other chairs. they seem to have figured out comfortably capacity very well.

there is still some hard to put my finger on vibe differential vs vermont. like everyone at cannon seems like a cop or military veteran, and everyone in vermont feels like they retired from phish tour. i prefer the latter.

snoseek

my first and only day there this season was this past Saturday. they were 'sold out' in advance. the summit chair had some waits, but definitely nothing crazy, and zoomer and peabody were never more than 3-5 minutes or so. mittersill was ski on when i bounced over there at peak hours to avoid other chairs. they seem to have figured out comfortably capacity very well.

there is still some hard to put my finger on vibe differential vs vermont. like everyone at cannon seems like a cop or military veteran, and everyone in vermont feels like they retired from phish tour. i prefer the latter.
Well I'm a vet but smoke lots of weed so I guess I can go either way lol.

urungus

Outside of soft spring days, that trail is perhaps the shittiest windblown trail in the east or at least top 5.

Unfortunately Bypass was closed yesterday, too bad, would like to be able to say I skiied a “top 5” trail LOL

dblskifanatic

It is flat in the beginning and then drops for some quick bumps - never recalled it being that bad. I guess I never really skied it when it was. I do like linking up Vista Way. to Bypass to Extension to Avalanche. Great T2B run. It has been a while.

the only stuff at cannon i would qualify as 'scary' at all are dj's, kinsman, and wicked haawhd

I would agree! Every thing else is skiable with out slowing down, Tight trees are tough to get rhythm in! And on Dj's it is hard to see how much coverage there is where the rocky sections are.

machski

Up today, they have lost some cover but some good skiing remains. They flattened Vista Way (ok) AND upper hardscrabble (why!!) So very few bumps on main mountain. Hard to tell if they flattened or sun/temps did the job on edges of front 5. Whisky Town glade still open, melting out quick but good lines still if you enter at 2nd entrance. First is toast. Upper glades, Global warming and lost boys both open and still great coverage in both. Bumps are there of you want them. Over to Mitt after lunch, will post on that.

bizarrefaith

It also drops you right into the worst intersection on the mountain.
I don't like Profile much either and lots of folks older than me are still complaining that installing Cannonball and clearing out what's now Profile made the wind on top much worse.

Last edited:

JDMRoma

It also drops you right into the worst intersection on the mountain.
I don't like Profile either much either and lots of folks older than me are still complaining that installing Cannonball and clearing out what's now Profile made the wind on top much worse.
always pay attention going up the Peabody, Bypass when its soft is a blast for the top to bottom runs. Profile not my favorite upper mountain run but again when conditions warrant it can be Awesome !

Zand

I would hope no one was planning on skiing tomorrow regardless of the resort. Lol

Zand

Cannonball “Express”? Did I miss a lift install at Cannon? That chair is fixed, right?
That's been named Express as long as I can remember (I have a 2005 map that says it). Not sure why they do it. Pretty short ride anyway since its not a long lift, but it's not an express quad so not sure why they have it in the name.

Bretton Woods is (or was? IDK) home to the Fabians (not an) Express Triple.

JDMRoma

That's been named Express as long as I can remember (I have a 2005 map that says it). Not sure why they do it. Pretty short ride anyway since its not a long lift, but it's not an express quad so not sure why they have it in the name.

Yes BW is home of the Not so Faybians Express.......thats a painful one ! you could shoot 3 beers on that easily

JimG.

Staff member
Yes BW is home of the Not so Faybians Express.......thats a painful one ! you could shoot 3 beers on that easily
Not worse than the famous Lightening Quad at Belleayre...you could walk up the hill faster.

machski

Both have been named "Express" since I was in High School at least. They both went in long before the first HSQ was installed at WVV in NH (and ironically the second went in at Bretton Woods, choosing to leave Fabians's named "Express" even after).