• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon & Loon 12/28. Cannon 12/29 & 12/30

Cannonball

I'm pretty worked over right. But judging from talk on other parts of the forum it sounds like people are trying to understand the conditions following last night's weird precip, and wondering where to be. So I'll throw out a very brief account of the past few days:

12/28, Sat: Got to Cannon around 1:30. Not good. It wasn't very crowded, but I apparently it had been earlier and the trails were showing it. Totally skied off. This was the type of day that gives Cannon a bad rap. Sheer ice for miles. I took one lap on every open trail then bailed for Loon.

12/28, Sat: Rolled into Loon's South Peak around 3. After the S*Show at Cannon I had pretty low expectations. But South Peak trails actually skied very nicely. Edgeable, consistent snow from top to bottom. Dang those runs are long and nice. The crowds had left by then. Folks I talked to on the lift said that the main mountain was intolerably crowded. Judging by the traffic in Lincoln I believe it.

12/29, Sun: We knew that early turns were the only decent option for Cannon. We barely missed the 8:15 tram but got the 8:30. It was groomed and fast. Not bad. Considering how bad it had been the day before it was actually pretty impressive. Things were getting skied off by noon so we bailed. I ended the day with an epic fall and 500' slide that was very nearly a season ender. I can feel that I have partially re-injured the ruptured bicep I had 2 season ago. I will be backing off for a bit.

WEATHER. It started snowing 10lbs flakes by mid afternoon. Seriously these were the biggest flakes I've ever seen. By 10pm it had accumulated ~4-5". At 6am it was back down to a soggy 3-4". Luckily i have a kick-ass wife who shoveled the driveway so we could get to the mountain early. There was no way my arm could handle the slush-shoveling. By 7:45 it was raining in Lincoln and we were heading north.

12/30, Mon. 31 in Lincoln, 27 at Cannon and still looking soggy. It was the darkest day I've ever seen. Walking into the Tram building it felt like pre-dawn. Things looked ugly. UNREAL: On first ride up the tram we got to experience something completely surreal. A Cannon employee shoveled off the roof of the tram...WHILE IT WAS HEADING UP!! We all cracked jokes from inside while we heard the scraping and saw the snow pouring down. James Frick'n Bond Snow Shoveling. The top was 10" of super fluff!! Best day of the season!! Terrible visibility and way too many people crammed into 2 (eventually 3) summit trails. But really, really good! Everything lower pretty much sucked.

12/31? Gonna be cold and firm. Get high (elevation that is) and stay high.

Edd

Nice report. Sounds like a cool few days. Never seen anyone shovel a tram like that.

ScottySkis

I'm pretty worked over right. But judging from talk on other parts of the forum it sounds like people are trying to understand the conditions following last night's weird precip, and wondering where to be. So I'll throw out a very brief account of the past few days:

12/28, Sat: Got to Cannon around 1:30. Not good. It wasn't very crowded, but I apparently it had been earlier and the trails were showing it. Totally skied off. This was the type of day that gives Cannon a bad rap. Sheer ice for miles. I took one lap on every open trail then bailed for Loon.

12/28, Sat: Rolled into Loon's South Peak around 3. After the S*Show at Cannon I had pretty low expectations. But South Peak trails actually skied very nicely. Edgeable, consistent snow from top to bottom. Dang those runs are long and nice. The crowds had left by then. Folks I talked to on the lift said that the main mountain was intolerably crowded. Judging by the traffic in Lincoln I believe it.

12/29, Sun: We knew that early turns were the only decent option for Cannon. We barely missed the 8:15 tram but got the 8:30. It was groomed and fast. Not bad. Considering how bad it had been the day before it was actually pretty impressive. Things were getting skied off by noon so we bailed. I ended the day with an epic fall and 500' slide that was very nearly a season ender. I can feel that I have partially re-injured the ruptured bicep I had 2 season ago. I will be backing off for a bit.

WEATHER. It started snowing 10lbs flakes by mid afternoon. Seriously these were the biggest flakes I've ever seen. By 10pm it had accumulated ~4-5". At 6am it was back down to a soggy 3-4". Luckily i have a kick-ass wife who shoveled the driveway so we could get to the mountain early. There was no way my arm could handle the slush-shoveling. By 7:45 it was raining in Lincoln and we were heading north.

12/30, Mon. 31 in Lincoln, 27 at Cannon and still looking soggy. It was the darkest day I've ever seen. Walking into the Tram building it felt like pre-dawn. Things looked ugly. UNREAL: On first ride up the tram we got to experience something completely surreal. A Cannon employee shoveled off the roof of the tram...WHILE IT WAS HEADING UP!! We all cracked jokes from inside while we heard the scraping and saw the snow pouring down. James Frick'n Bond Snow Shoveling. The top was 10" of super fluff!! Best day of the season!! Terrible visibility and way too many people crammed into 2 (eventually 3) summit trails. But really, really good! Everything lower pretty much sucked.

12/31? Gonna be cold and firm. Get high (elevation that is) and stay high.

Sorry about your arm. You have an awesome wife. I agree always great to be high lol.

Cannonball

...or travel further north. Mt. Wash Valley is all blower pow, even to the base. I'm surprised Cannon was 'moist' on the lower mtn.

Nice report - but how was the skiing today?

Huh? Read report to see how skiing was today.

And, no further north is not a great solution. Jay did not make out as well.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Huh? Read report to see how skiing was today.

And, no further north is not a great solution. Jay did not make out as well.

I did read the section about 12/30. And you wrote, "Everything lower pretty much sucked. " I understand NVT was skunked, I didn't mean you had to go that far. In the MWV the light pow started at the base.

sf1_today.jpg

Last edited:

Cannonball

I did read the section about 12/30. And you wrote, "Everything lower pretty much sucked. " I understand NVT was skunked, I didn't mean you had to go that far. In the MWV the light pow started at the base.

sf1_today.jpg

Right. Black mountain in the MWV, where you were today, is not at all North of Cannon. It is East. Your advice to go north to find drier snow is poor.

Now I understand why you had to make yourself an overlay of the ski areas on the weather maps. You should consult it for orientation.