• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Car problem...

redalienx11

Website
www.alaskamountainguides.com
my 2002 subaru outback has a problem.

there is a sqeaking noise coming from the front of the car, even when not moving. it gets worse the harder i turn the wheel (again, even if I'm at a standstill). When I'm driving, the squeaking is still there, but goes away completely while I depress the brakes, even slightly. Thoughts?

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
my 2002 subaru outback has a problem.

there is a sqeaking noise coming from the front of the car, even when not moving. it gets worse the harder i turn the wheel (again, even if I'm at a standstill). When I'm driving, the squeaking is still there, but goes away completely while I depress the brakes, even slightly. Thoughts?

Power steering pump is going/and or your serpintine belt is as well.

Glenn

Check the belts. But hitting the brakes makes me wonder. If the noise goes away, that would make me think a caliper is dragging a bit. When you hit the brakes, the pad contacts the rotor fully and the noise goes away.

Geoff

Check the belts. But hitting the brakes makes me wonder. If the noise goes away, that would make me think a caliper is dragging a bit. When you hit the brakes, the pad contacts the rotor fully and the noise goes away.

My initial thought was belt or bearings in power steering pump, alternator, .... Power brakes are driven by a vacuum line. I'm trying to imagine how stepping in the brakes when you are stopped makes the noise go away.

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
Could be a number of things: Struts, ball joints, wheel bearings, tie-rod ends, control-arm bushings, sway bar bushings, loose/dragging caliper, CV joints, etc. If it squeaks while NOT moving (but when turning the wheels or flexing the suspension by pushing on the corner of the car) you can pretty much eliminate wheel bearings, CV joints, and calipers. Might be worth jacking the affected wheel and giving it a push/pull and checking the ball joint by placing a long bar under the tire and pulling upward. Check for any unusual play (if the wheel moves but the steering wheel doesn't) and any clunking or squeaking.

Good luck - I chased a clunk in my front end of my PT Cruiser for 2 months before it finally got bad enough for me to isolate it to an inboard CV joint. It would only do it when coasting or when I was on-and-off the clutch.