• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Careful out there: Avy on Mt Washington

makimono

http://timefortuckerman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14017

IMG_2346.jpg

Chilling picture of Rog aka Icelanticskier sitting on the debris field thinking. You can see the huge crown line way up on the ridge behind him, and keep in mind he was the trigger. I've been enjoying Rog's TR's all year, he's out in the NH BC just about every single day, very experienced skier, it can happen to anyone. Glad he's alive.

Puck it

I say that thread over at TFT. Glad he is okay. He gets a lot of days in up there. I have always wondered what he does for living. It seems like he is out everyday.

jimmywilson69

Is it safe to assume that most people in the east don't ski with Avi Beacons? I wouuld assume a MT. washington regular does, but how about the "average" eastern backcountry skier?

SIKSKIER

Rog is a very frequent poster at T4T.He skis alone quite often too which always made me question what might happen in a bad situation like this if he were buried.More than likely he was in the GOS as he spends a lot of time there.He was not alone this time though.He managed to float himself and end up on top.Very lucky.I had the same experience catskiing in the Monashee.Very scary.

snowmonster

Is it safe to assume that most people in the east don't ski with Avi Beacons? I wouuld assume a MT. washington regular does, but how about the "average" eastern backcountry skier?

Unless you're skiing the Presidentials, the Adirondacks, Katahdin or some other steep area above treeline, the average eastern bc skier probably won't have a beacon. I have a probe and a shovel but haven't shelled out for a beacon. It's probably because I go out solo all of the time.

skidmarks

It's nice to have all the Avi Gear, shovel, probe and beacon, however you need to be in a group large enough to perform a rescue.

I saw the report on TFT and Rog sure was lucky.

jimmywilson69

It's nice to have all the Avi Gear, shovel, probe and beacon, however you need to be in a group large enough to perform a rescue.

I saw the report on TFT and Rog sure was lucky.

That was a concern of my buddy in colorado when I last went out there to ski. We had planned on doing 1 day in the BC, but my buddy couldn't round up enough people to be safe because we wanted to do it mid-week.

Those guys are lucky they both didn't end up buried. Just goes to show even the skilled can have accidents.