• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Clearly, I am getting old

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
As I sit here on the garden bench supervising the kids playing, 3 kids rode down our hill with reckless abandon on their BMX-type bikes. One kid was standing on the back of another kid's bike, all in short sleeves and t-shirts and no helmets. And after the nervous shudder reaction I had nearly instantaneously, the first thought that popped into my head was, "Geez, I hope none of them fall off!"

I'm so old!

I remember hiking my stupid cheap-o bike up the hills around here in the summer to ride down for the thrill of it all, enjoying the breeze whipping through my unprotected hair. Since when did I turn the corner to thinking for the other side? :oops:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
When you had your own kids!

Yeah, it does kind of ruin a lot of things for me now. I say that with the best of intentions, but it does open your eyes to things that you never considered dangerous before. Anybody see Taken? I went to Paris when I was 14 and in retrospect, I did some really stupid things while I was there. I realize it's a movie and all but knowing what I know now and seeing that, I'm not too keen on my daughter leaving this country....ever. Scary world out there! :eek:

I didn't hear any screams so I assume those daredevil boys arrived safely at the bottom of the hill. :lol:

ComeBackMudPuddles

you're not getting old! clearly, it's just that those young hooligans were out of control and long overdue for a good caning. i just don't understand kids these days. in my day, kids spoke when they were spoken to, they walked uphill to and from school and they sat quietly in the corner waiting happily to be assigned their daily chores.

Beetlenut

you're not getting old! clearly, it's just that those young hooligans were out of control and long overdue for a good caning. i just don't understand kids these days. in my day, kids spoke when they were spoken to, they walked uphill to and from school and they sat quietly in the corner waiting happily to be assigned their daily chores.

I totally agree! Why I'm building a woodshed behind my house, no fireplace or woodstove, just to be able to take my kids there and coerce some sense into them! ;-)

noski

childhood memory

You just brought forth a childhood memory I had buried for a long time....Flash back to 1969 or so, I was riding my cousin's Stingray- you know the one- banana seat, big sissie bar, ape hanger handle bars.... Off I go down a dirt road hill and the handlebars came right out of the bike- no helmet, no protection, my knee and face took the main impact (no comment) and I had a gravel encrusted lip that birds could perch on for about a week.

SkiDork

You just brought forth a childhood memory I had buried for a long time....Flash back to 1969 or so, I was riding my cousin's Stingray- you know the one- banana seat, big sissie bar, ape hanger handle bars.... Off I go down a dirt road hill and the handlebars came right out of the bike- no helmet, no protection, my knee and face took the main impact (no comment) and I had a gravel encrusted lip that birds could perch on for about a week.

wow - that kicked off a memory...

I was also riding a sting ray, and chasing a dirtbag kid that lived down the street from me. I learned that you should never rub tires with the guy in front of you. The guy in back gets hosed. Over the handlebars and chipped my front tooth on the street.

ctenidae

As long as some part of you, no matter how small or deeply buried, thought "That looks like fun" you're still okay. Otherwise, time to start telling them to stay off your lawn.

wa-loaf

Ha I wiped out on gravel when I was a kid and tore my leg up so it looked like hamburger. Then it got infected and I had to spend a few days in the hospital. Another time I split my chin open and needed stitches. The good old days ...

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
My cousin rode down a hill near my grandma's house on some ancient bike she had there when we were 11 or 12 years old. Went OTB on the asphalt and had to get stitches in his chin. Yup, the good ole days. :lol:

For a brief moment I thought what they were doing looked like fun, and I did have the fond memory. But now I know too much about safety (and what can happen when you're not prepared). Ignorance really is bliss...

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
As I sit here on the garden bench supervising the kids playing, 3 kids rode down our hill with reckless abandon on their BMX-type bikes. One kid was standing on the back of another kid's bike, all in short sleeves and t-shirts and no helmets. And after the nervous shudder reaction I had nearly instantaneously, the first thought that popped into my head was, "Geez, I hope none of them fall off!"

I'm so old!

I remember hiking my stupid cheap-o bike up the hills around here in the summer to ride down for the thrill of it all, enjoying the breeze whipping through my unprotected hair. Since when did I turn the corner to thinking for the other side? :oops:

Whew, I thought it might have been worse like pissing away a whole day watching the weather channel.