• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Clipless pedal suggestions/opinions

wa-loaf

If I rode platforms instead of clipless pedals I'd be much more likely to get shin guards. I'm not sure what you're on wa-loaf??

On my old SPDs, need to upgrade those too. Not sure what I want.

bvibert

Staff member
Not to derail your thread too much, but I've been happy with my SPDs, I see no reason to switch.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
All SPD cleats are the same, but not all SPD pedals. Some are much easier to get into than others. My old Ritchey's were dismal. The Shimano's I ride with now are much better.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
My older Shimano's have a spring adjustment to dial in how easy/hard you want it. Don't most spd pedals have this?

I'm not talking about the tension adjustment, all pedals have that.

The design of the pedal hadware itself makes a difference. The brackets that catch the cleats on my shimano pedals are one piece, stamped so they have a smooth top. If you're off a little bit with your placement when you put your foot down, the design tends to guide the cleat into place.

With my old Ritchey's, you had to be spot on with placement, and I ended up fumbling around trying to get clipped in a lot more.

Plus my Shimanos shed mud much better, keep it out much better and have never got stuck open on me from getting junk wedged in them, unlike my old pedals.

bvibert

Staff member
They are 10 years old. Seem to work fine, but probably should be replaced.

My point was why not replace them with the same thing (or the current equivalent of the same thing). I've been using Shimano brand pedals with no problems. Though I think my older pedals work better than a set I have with the newer mechanism. I tend to pop out of the newer ones a little to easily sometimes. They shed mud and debris much better though.

o3jeff

My old ones were pretty beat and I would pop out of them every once in a while. I ended up with a set of the M-540 and what a big difference a new set makes.

bvibert

Staff member
I'm not talking about the tension adjustment, all pedals have that.

Just to be clear that all SPD type pedals have tension adjustment, but not all clipless pedals. AFAIK none of the Crank Bros pedals have tension adjustment

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Just to be clear that all SPD type pedals have tension adjustment, but not all clipless pedals. AFAIK none of the Crank Bros pedals have tension adjustment

Ok, all pedals worth using have tension adjustment. That goes for road pedals too.

/snark
//lighten up, Francis

bvibert

Staff member
My old ones were pretty beat and I would pop out of them every once in a while. I ended up with a set of the M-540 and what a big difference a new set makes.

Yeah, that's the design that I haven't had as much luck with. Maybe it's just me though. The ones that I like are more like these, but without the platform cage around them.

o3jeff

Yeah, that's the design that I haven't had as much luck with. Maybe it's just me though. The ones that I like are more like these, but without the platform cage around them.

I only got about 25 miles on them so we'll see. The ones you posted the link to are the ones that I replaced and had no complaints with them. For the $35 I paid for them, they lasted 2-3 years without any problems.

wa-loaf

Ok, all pedals worth using have tension adjustment. That goes for road pedals too.

/snark
//lighten up, Francis

So, nobody likes the crank bros stuff?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I've never used the egg beaters my buddy does and he complains the platform isn't big enough, you need super stiff shoes, and that he often auto-unclipps when he hits the bottom of a pedal on a rock because the spring/bale mechanism is all connected.

bvibert

Staff member
So, nobody likes the crank bros stuff?

Lots of people like them. I've never tried them though. I always liked the apparent simplicity of the design. I've read a lot of complaints about their durability and the 'auto release' that Marc mentioned. They have a new design out this year that's supposed to address some of the durability issues, but that's yet to be seen since the design has just been released.

bvibert

Staff member
I split the above posts from the armor thread, since we pretty successfully deviated from the original topic. ;)

Carry on...

gorgonzola

most of the peeps i ride with either use shimano spd's or time atac z's - not alot of cb luv. my first clipless were the shimanos with the resin cages - they lasted about a month on the pa rocks. the alum ones fare a little better, 1-2 seasons before you lose the little cap that holds the spindle. they still function but u get play in the platform aspect...