• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

College Football

Dr Skimeister

One of the reasons fall is one of my four favorite seasons is college football. The game and it's associated pageantry..and of course the obligatory imbibing...makes for a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon, or Saturday evening, or Thursday evening, or...hell, any time.

I'm cautiously psyched as my WVU Mountaineers start the post-Pat White era with Jarrett Brown as the QB. We open against the Jerry Falwell-inspired Liberty University on Saturday. I'm looking forward to the trip I'm making to Syracuse on 10/10 to see the Mounties take on SU, with the ex-Duke hoops guy now playing QB. Also got tickets to see WVU vs Rutgers in the last regular season game down in Piscataway.

Good luck to one and all as the games begin. :)

campgottagopee

One of the reasons fall is one of my four favorite seasons is college football. The game and it's associated pageantry..and of course the obligatory imbibing...makes for a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon, or Saturday evening, or Thursday evening, or...hell, any time.

I'm cautiously psyched as my WVU Mountaineers start the post-Pat White era with Jarrett Brown as the QB. We open against the Jerry Falwell-inspired Liberty University on Saturday. I'm looking forward to the trip I'm making to Syracuse on 10/10 to see the Mounties take on SU, with the ex-Duke hoops guy now playing QB. Also got tickets to see WVU vs Rutgers in the last regular season game down in Piscataway.

Good luck to one and all as the games begin. :)

Hey!!! I'm going to that game too. With Paulus being a local Syracuse boy the Dome will be jammin for sure.

Was watching Sports Center this A.M. and all the peeps are picking Florida to win the BCS (they should be), Lou Holtz pick Notre Dame---lol

Dr Skimeister

Hey!!! I'm going to that game too. With Paulus being a local Syracuse boy the Dome will be jammin for sure.

Was watching Sports Center this A.M. and all the peeps are picking Florida to win the BCS (they should be), Lou Holtz pick Notre Dame---lol

Turns out I'm heading to that game in the Dome with my 5 yr old son. Kid apes his old man too much, is a BIG Mountaineer fan. My wife and other kids had no interest in making the trip.

We'll have to arrange to meet before the game.

I don't know that there is a clear-cut favorite for the BCS this season. Yea, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma are power-packed perennial favorites, but I can't discount either LSU (my other alma mater) or Oklahoma St. as sort-of dark horses.

Last edited:

campgottagopee

Turns out I'm heading to that game in the Dome with my 5 yr old son. Kid apes his old man too much, is a BIG Mountaineer fan. My wife and other kids had no interest in making the trip.

We'll have to arrange to meet before the game.

I don't know that there is a clear-cut favorite for the BCS this season. Yea, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma are power-packed perennial favorites, but I can't discount either LSU (my other alma mater) or Oklahoma St. as sort-of dark horses.

We can do that---FWIW, we usually park at Armory Square then take the train or bus up to the dome which makes it pretty darn easy to get around.

tarponhead

I'm cautiously psyched as my WVU Mountaineers start the post-Pat White era with Jarrett Brown as the QB. see WVU vs Rutgers in the last regular season game down in Piscataway.

yeah, maybe we (Rutgers) can beat you guys now.

I have season tickets to RU football. Psyched for this Monday's kickoff!

The last game (05Dec) on the otherhand is a Saturday....I can see Blue opening up that day and son #1 looking at me holding a football and son #2 looking at me holding his skis.....:roll:

deadheadskier

Staff member
The first thing I noticed when I moved outside of New England is how much more popular college football is than the NFL in many parts of the country.

I suppose if UVM had a team, I'd be a fan as an alumni. Overall I've never really gotten into as there just far too many teams to follow. I have a hard enough time with 32 NFL teams, never mind well over 100 Division 1 college teams. I'm the same way with college hoops.

I did catch a WVU game when I lived nearby in Maryland and had a blast. Crazy fans there. They had a law in Morgantown that you would get fined $500 for having any house furniture on your porch on game days. Kids burning coaches in the street was a pastime....crazy west virginians.

Dr Skimeister

The first thing I noticed when I moved outside of New England is how much more popular college football is than the NFL in many parts of the country.

I suppose if UVM had a team, I'd be a fan as an alumni. Overall I've never really gotten into as there just far too many teams to follow. I have a hard enough time with 32 NFL teams, never mind well over 100 Division 1 college teams. I'm the same way with college hoops.

I did catch a WVU game when I lived nearby in Maryland and had a blast. Crazy fans there. They had a law in Morgantown that you would get fined $500 for having any house furniture on your porch on game days. Kids burning coaches in the street was a pastime....crazy west virginians.

I participate in a WVU fans forum called "We Must Ignite This Couch". Furniture burning on Grant St or University Av in Morgantown after big wins is legendary.

deadheadskier

Staff member
ooopps I meant couches, not coaches. Burning coaches in the street would draw a bit bigger penalty than a $500 fine :lol:

drjeff

I've been so psyched the last few years that UCONN decided to take their program I-A and invested the effort and $$ into it to already give it a good amount of credibility. Really happy that they entered a home/home agreement with Michigan starting next season too!

Go Huskies!! (Now if my Huskies could only beat Doc Skimeister's Mountaineers ;) )

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've been so psyched the last few years that UCONN decided to take their program I-A and invested the effort and $$ into it to already give it a good amount of credibility. Really happy that they entered a home/home agreement with Michigan starting next season too!

Go Huskies!! (Now if my Huskies could only beat Doc Skimeister's Mountaineers ;) )

That is one thing that's a turn off for me actually; the $$$ invested into college sports and coaches making $4 million dollars a year at institutions that tax payers help fund. Also, in all fairness, the players should get paid considering the revenue they help bring in to the schools.

Don't get me wrong, I think college sports is great entertainment. I'm a huge professional sports fan. There's just certain (P-word) behind college sports that I disagree with. ;)

tarponhead

That is one thing that's a turn off for me actually; the $$$ invested into college sports and coaches making $4 million dollars a year at institutions that tax payers help fund. Also, in all fairness, the players should get paid considering the revenue they help bring in to the schools.

Don't get me wrong, I think college sports is great entertainment. I'm a huge professional sports fan. There's just certain (P-word) behind college sports that I disagree with. ;)

Yeah, thats been a discussed a lot. I live in a state where the football coach is the highest paid state employee :roll:

But that said, I enjoy college football immensly. I love how the kids play (and they are kids). Professional football turned me off a long time ago with all those antics after a good play :puke: I don't need to see someone calling their momma on cellphone after a td.......

Dr Skimeister

Week 2 in the books. Mountaineers 2-0. Decent showing against East Carolina on Saturday after a shaky start-we had 3 penalties called before the second play from scrimage was run. It looks like our QB, Jarret Brown is the real deal. Big test coming up this Saturday night with a game against Auburn.

Go Mountaineers!!