• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Columbus Was Lost

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
32nd Leif Erickson parade to start at 6:30 a.m.

By AARON SANBORN
asanborn@fosters.com

Article Date: Friday, October 10, 2008
DURHAM — What started as a simple march by three men to honor Leif Erickson has turned into a rich tradition that has spanned over 30 years.

On Oct. 12 this tradition will continue for the 32nd time and the public is invited to attend. However, there is a catch. You must wake up early.

The Leif Erickson Celebration Parade is scheduled to assemble at 6 a.m. and will kick off 30 minutes later.

Those who want to participate in the parade are asked to arrive at the Laundromat on Main Street at 6 a.m. They are also expected to wear Viking gear, rain or shine.

According to Mrs. Nobel K. Peterson, wife of late founder Nobel K. Peterson, when the leather horn bellows at 6:30 a.m., participants march 25 feet to Young's restaurant next door where they enjoy breakfast and Viking cake.

"If you want to know what Viking cake is, you'll have to attend the ceremony to find out," Peterson said.

This storied small-town tradition started in 1977 when Peterson's husband and two others began the parade in coordination with Leif Ericson Day, which is Oct. 9. Peterson and his friend were doing laundry when they decided to march next door to Young's Restaurant in honor of the Icelandic explorer known as the first European to land in North America in 1003.

Along the way another man joined them, Peterson said.

The Viking-themed march gained press coverage through the years and the tradition became ingrained in the community.

"We feel all the explorers who sailed for the new world were courageous and deserving of at least an hour of recognition on the appropriate day," Peterson said.

During the parade, declarations made by the president of the United States and Gov. John Lynch will be read.

Peterson urges the public to attend because it's a positive event meant to provoke smiles.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sounds like a good excuse for some college students to 'wake and bake', dress up as vikings and grab some grub. :lol:

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
My 16 yr old & I made it. Video to come.

Viking pride: More than 50 march in Leif Ericson parade in Durham

By JOEY CRESTA
jcresta@fosters.com

Article Date: Monday, October 13, 2008
bilde

Craig Osborne/Democrat photo Armed with his Finnish flag, Dick Burkholder marches in the Leif Erickson parade in Durham on Sunday morning.

* Order a print of this photo

DURHAM — A tradition that began more than 30 years ago continued Sunday morning as over 50 people, many dressed in Scandinavian garb, gathered for a parade to show admiration for Leif Ericson, the famous Viking explorer.

The sounds of a Scandinavian leather horn sounded from a tape deck, and the cheers of "For noble deeds and daring done, we all salute Leif Ericson" and "Hoorah! Hoorah! Hoorah!" echoed out across Main Street at 6:30 a.m. as participants celebrated with a 25-foot march from the laundromat to Young's Restaurant next door.

People began gathering at the Laundercenter on Main Street as early as 5:30 a.m. to participate in the 32nd annual Leif Ericson Parade, which began in 1977 as a three-man tribute to the famous explorer. Some of this year's participants wore casual clothes, others had on traditional Scandinavian garb and some dressed in Viking costumes.

The primary accessory, however, seemed to be coffee, as many came bearing Styrofoam cups.

Noble K. Peterson, a former UNH professor, and two friends of Scandinavian descent were washing clothes at the Laundercenter one morning when they decided to march next door to Young's Restaurant to celebrate the famous explorer.

Many of the parade participants have many years of experience under their belts. Howard Stith of Dover, who has participated since 1983, described the annual gathering as a kind of "family reunion" because there are so many familiar faces that show up every year.

Others were taking part in the festivities for the first time. Kent and Bill Anderson, brothers from Gilford, and Kent's fiancee, Judy Burt, made their first appearance at this year's parade.

Kent, whose mother is Norwegian and father is Swedish, said he had heard about the celebration years ago but never got around to attending until this year.

Once the march was completed, it was time for the Annual Questioning at Young's Restaurant. Questions such as "Why do we celebrate the day before Columbus Day?" and "Why is the parade at 6:30?" are answered with a smart "Because Leif Ericson was early." There is also a reading of a Hagar the Horrible comic strip, followed by serving of tea, coffee and Viking cake.

Marci Erickson and her husband, a retired army colonial with family roots in Denmark, have been participants since 1983. Erickson said the event was a "fun," unique event that "no one ever did where we were before," adding that it's clear the biggest fans of Ericson are those who participate in the parade.

"You know we must be admirers of Leif if we're up this early in the morning," she said.

Leif Ericson Day is observed nationally on Oct. 9.

bilde

Craig Osborne/Democrat photos Ken Anderson, above right, of Gilford marches in the Leif Erickson parade in Durham on Sunday morning. Armed with his Finnish flag, Dick Burkholder, above left, marches.

* Order a print of this photo

Great youtube video...I used to have an 1892 400th Anniversery Columbus Day coin which I sold along with the rest of my coin collection last year. I think I got $38 for it...I wish I had a Leif Erkison coin or at least a Leif Garrett one to sell on e-bay for some beer money..

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
I wish I could have captured, on video, the part where Mrs. Nobel K Peterson lectured me into removing the horns from my Viking helmet as she had done with the others. If you look at some of the helmets you will see dark ovals just above the ears.

I wish I was related to this guy:

bilde

I'd order the high res pic and have it framed.