• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Corbet's Couloir

skiNEwhere

Since I am bored anticipating the ski season, I must youtube motivational ski video's. Corbet's looks INSANE and even in video form is very intimidating, and it makes me wanna go down there!!! I know someone in this forum has skied it before, speak up.

Too bad I won't be going there this year, I'm heading to Whistler this December

Incase the embedding doesn't work, here is the original link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rcxNUMr064&mode=related&search=

Last edited by a moderator:

2knees

what blows my mind most about Corbett's is that from everything i've read, its considered tame compared to what some dudes are dropping into now. Apparently someone even went down it on a snowmobile.

To me, it looks almost impossible to pull off on skis. How you get the c.a. jones to drop the 20 or so feet into that knowing you have to land and crank a turn or slam into the rock wall.

skiNEwhere

a snowmobile? you got a link or picture of that? I'd love to see that lol.

Yea the drop in looks the hardest by far, I bet it is icy as well from all the people side sliding down it

Geoff

Since I am bored anticipating the ski season, I must youtube motivational ski video's. Corbet's looks INSANE and even in video form is very intimidating, and it makes me wanna go down there!!! I know someone in this forum has skied it before, speak up.

Too bad I won't be going there this year, I'm heading to Whistler this December

Whistler has plenty of terrain that is equal to or better than Jackson Hole. December is often a little early for the steepest stuff. It takes 10 feet of snowpack to get much of it skiable.

JohnGD33

Corbet's is crazy I did it not sure if i would do it again. Watch out for the rock candy!!! In Whistler there is alot of stuff just as steep and are NO FALL ZONES but you can find stuff without rocks in your face. The black hole is pretty fun over on blackcomb (some rocks but not at all like Corbet's. Jackson is just STEEP!!!

I CAN"T WAIT TO SKI:beer:

JohnGD33

Only about three months!:daffy: I did have my A$$ handed to me at Corbet's but I made it out without going down hard.

skibum1321

ha ha ha.. I thought we were talking about the Corbert Report!!

:)

Do you mean the Colbert Report?

I would love to ski Corbet's one of these days. Hopefully I'll get out to J-Hole in the next few years. As for this winter, I'm trying to get sent to a conference in Vancouver, where they have an optional day skiing at Whistler...

2knees

a snowmobile? you got a link or picture of that? I'd love to see that lol.

Yea the drop in looks the hardest by far, I bet it is icy as well from all the people side sliding down it

I havent found any pictures but here is a link to the guys website. Works for Blue Sky snowmobiles.

http://www.shadfree.com/instructors.html

This is all they say about it.

Shad is a founding member of the SLEDNECK revolution and spent four of the following winters filming for the series that changed to sport to what it is today. In the spring of 1999, Shad became the 1st and only person to jump a snowmobile into the famed Corbets Couloir at the Jackson Hole Mountain Resort.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Even tho I lived at JH for many years I never had the desire to jump in. It's more gravity then survival than skiing. . If there is alot of snow it's not much of a jump. Just down the ridge the S&S Couloir is a bigger challenge. I passed by the entrance hundreds of times.

corbet.jpg

This is the terrain I preferred at JH
notOkemo.jpg

Greg

Staff member
I'm pretty positive that I will never be doing anything like that. And I'm okay with it...

Razor

I stood on the edge with my tips dangling over one time but never got up the balls to drop into it. Some things just don't seem worth the risk.

gpetrics

Website
www.famousinternetskiers.com
I must have skied that damn thing 20 times when I was there in 2000 for US Nationals. Soooo much fun...really not as bad as you might think.

And yes... it is nothing compared to what the big dogs do these days for TGR, MSP etc...

To compare, the cornice at the very tippy top of Left Gully is about the same drop, but doesn't *quite* require as much of a crux maneuver to ski out of (with enough snow).

I've heard (but can't speak from experience--hope for that to change April '08 ) that Dodge's Drop is more technically challenging... of course Dodge's is backcountry too, so that factors in.

kingslug

I looked up at it from the bottom during a low snow season, no one was dropping in that day. Doubt I'll ever do it, too risky.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I must have skied that damn thing 20 times when I was there in 2000 for US Nationals. Soooo much fun...really not as bad as you might think.

And yes... it is nothing compared to what the big dogs do these days for TGR, MSP etc...

To compare, the cornice at the very tippy top of Left Gully is about the same drop, but doesn't *quite* require as much of a crux maneuver to ski out of (with enough snow).

I've heard (but can't speak from experience--hope for that to change April '08 ) that Dodge's Drop is more technically challenging... of course Dodge's is backcountry too, so that factors in.

This is coming from a guy who prefers skiing air to snow! :daffy: