• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cranmore 12-21-2007

Paul

Date(s) Skied:12/21/07

Resort or Ski Area: Cranmore

Conditions: Powder, PP

Trip Report: Chris K beat me to the punch. Powder day at the Mighty Cranmore. Pulled the kid out of school Friday to take advantage of Cranmore's 70th Birthday. We had received 2 free lift passes at the Boston Globe Expo, so we only had to buy one ticket at $3.30 for the three of us to ski from getting there right after first chair at 9:00 until 4:00. We stayed mostly on the easier groomers as it was Alex's (the 7 yr old) first day of the season. Of course, after about 3 to 4 runs, she was showing signs of returning to her old, confide...hell, cocky self.
There was really sweet powder off the sides of every trail, and it took until 2pm or so for any scratchy surfaces to start showing. The only exception was skier's right on the mountain. Trails like Kandahar, Rattlesnake, Skimeister, Schneider et al were getting pretty bare early on. They were, nonetheless, a lot of fun. Like Chris said, it was fairly cloudy early on, but in the afternoon, it cleared-up nicely.
Cranmore may be overlooked as a smaller hill near to the metropolis of North Conway, but the staff is always very helpful and friendly, the rates are affordable, even when its not $3.30 on their Anniversary, and there is still enough to keep all but the most hard-core expert interested for a better part of the day.
Overall, a really nice time spent skiing with the family.
DSC00602.JPG

Looking-up from the base lodge
DSC00600.JPG

The beginner area
DSC00597.JPG

Alex gets her "Ski-Legs" under her.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I looked at Cranmore from Black all day, wondering, so thanks for the report. How many of their trails were yet to open? Did you see much glades or oob skiing?
Cranmore is on my radar, I was going to come over late in the day, but was having too much fun elsewhere. I'll be hitting it up soon. I'll be interested in hearing from others on how busy it is on the weekend.

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
Most of the trails/glades were open. It seems that they may have been saving some for the weekend. I actually considered Black but could not pass on the novelty of $3.30 tickets. My son and I found some short untracked sections. He has now pledged to get his butt out of bed earlier on powder days. This is a success.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Most of the trails/glades were open. It seems that they may have been saving some for the weekend. I actually considered Black but could not pass on the novelty of $3.30 tickets. My son and I found some short untracked sections. He has now pledged to get his butt out of bed earlier on powder days. This is a success.

now YOU have to hold up your end of the bargain and not miss a powder day :snow::snow::snow:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Cranmore is a cool hill. I like how it is right in downtown Conway. The only problem is its southern exposure...other than that, it's got night skiing, some good steep terrain, the back bowl, and some great history.

I have to get back there soon!