• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

craziest thing i have ever seen

awf170

At snowbird during february vacation there was skiing who went from the top of gadzoom quad to the base of the tram backwords(1800ft vert.)It was so nuts, like he didnt go slow he went straight down, it was very stupid and dangerous, and could of hurt someone. But it was pretty amazing i would really like to see how good of skiing he really was(also how nuts he is) Luckily he didnt hit anyone or even come close.
I was just wondering what other people think the craziest thing they ever saw on skis(or snowboard) was.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
When I was a kid(early 70's), the local ski area had a man named "Fuzzy" that used to ski on stilts. He had a pair of 5 ft GLM skis attached to stilts and a platform on each ski that had a spademan plate attached, which he put his boots into.

He was a tall man, as I remember, without the stilts, so he was an absolute giant with the 5 ft or so stilts on. He had custom made pants that covered the wooden stilts, it was quite a site. Could this have been the start of lifter plates on skis? ;)

dmc

A good friend of mine telemarks backwards...
Does the turn and everything.. Really cool!

Also pulls "telecopters" which looks cool too...

Lostone

On my way from my condo, today, I took the shuttle bus. As it was pulling into the parking lot, the car in front of us had, in his trunk, what appeared to be a walker with skis on it. :eek:

I never saw it on the snow, but I would have wanted to.
But from a safe distance. :eek: :lol:

Do they have snowbikes elsewhere?

Here is one pic:
http://groups.msn.com/JimsSceneryPix/recentpix.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=436

There are others on the previous page.

Feel free to browse the album, and the other albums on the site. (Not a paid site. It is MSN) Some fairly good pix there. :wink:

KevinF

I've now seen something like this twice... I'm not sure which is "crazier".

1) Last month at Sugarloaf I got on the chair with a guy who had a ski boot, ski, etc. on the right foot and a standard-issue sneaker on the left foot. I gave him a "ummmmm, get dressed rather fast today?" query and he laughed and said that no, he had had surgery on his left ankle and his doctor said there's no way you can put a ski boot on the left foot. But the doctor apparently didn't say anything about not skiing, so... I mentioned his doctor probably implied the "not skiing" part, and he did agree but figured it was better to not ask for clarification. I followed him down for a bit; it's safe to say he skis way better on one foot then most people do on two. He must be really good with both skis on.

2) At Cannon back in January 2004 I rode the chair with a guy who had a 160-something length modern shaped ski on the right foot and an old 200-something length straight ski on the other foot. I asked him about this and he said that he does this occassionally "to make it interesting". I had to follow him; he looked absolutely flawless. You wouldn't have known that he was on two different skis from a distance. Made me wonder just how often he practices!

I've tried one-footed skiing from time-to-time, and while I can make some shaky turns that way, I sure wouldn't try skiing down from the Superquad at Sugarloaf with only one ski on. I've been meaning to try the "two different skis" thing, but I haven't gotten around to it. Anyone here ever try this?

dmc

bvibert

Staff member
dmc said:
I think cause he couldnt figure out how to climb snow... It looks like he trying to climb flat footed instead of kicking steps...
So since he could climb in boots he attempted to climb in his socks!

Thats the only thing that I could figure, but it seemed so rediculous I thought there had to be another explanation. :eek: I wish there was vid of him trying to climb in his socks. I wonder how his toes felt when he finally made it down? :roll:

awf170

i was bored a sunapee one day and tried that, except i didnt take the ski off i just lifted my foot and i made it down the from the top of the quad without touchin the ski on the snow, but it is so much scarier with only one ski because if you mess up your screwed, also i did not make it down with finesse, i auctaully looked pretty bad.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
dmc said:

I've actually seen kids with rear entry boots like he had pull right out of them. Maybe he pulled out of them. Many people who wear rear entry wear them for comfort only, wear them too large for their foot and do not tighten them enough.

When I was a ski patroller, we stopped to help a man complaining he could not control his skis and wanted a ride down. I asked him what seemed to be the problem and he said that his heel picked up and his foot kept sliding all around. He could fit BOTH hands easily into the collar of his boot. I suggested tightening the boot and he asked how much. I asked if he would like me to tighten them and he agreed. Rather than asking if they were "too tight" I asked if they were tight enough, implying that they needed to be tight. He said yes and I clicked them one notch tighter.

I offered to ski down with him. After two turns he told me they were better, but his heel still picked up. I asked him if he had the right size boot. He told me they were an 11 and that he wore a 10 shoe, so they should be right. Seeing that it was rental equipment I suggested that he return to the shop and get a size 10.

We were almost to the bottom so I skied with him the rest of the way and over to the shop. Later, he came up to me and thanked me. He told me that someone told him to tell the fitters that he took a size bigger shoe so that he could get roomy comfortable boots. Many novices and beginners think its all about comfort, it's not.

I'd also venture to say that the skier in the video was in way over his head when he turned on to this trail and he knew it.

Lostone

At many areas you can call for a taxi ride. They don't really like taking people down in the sled, but would rather take you without injury, than wait until you have injured yourself.

The advice should have been "Wait right there. I'll call patrol."

skintowin

I saw a guy come up short on a gap jump at Bridger Bowl, MT. The snow was pretty deep, so when he hit the flat there was a big explosion of powder. From out of this cloud of cold smoke I saw one of his skis come rocketing out...with the boot still attached.

cyrk007

I was going up the north face at Snow on a bluebird day.. down comes this chick topless :) followed by like 15 guys pursueing her it was classic

oneotwoandcounting

Awf170, I saw a friend of mine standing sheepishly at the side of an uncrowded ski trail at WF on a foggy day. She had just returned from Winter Park where she had taken a weeks worth of bump skiing lessons. Her instructor had told her to practice skiing backwards and doing 360s to improve her bump skiing. I spent the rest of the day skiing backwards and doing 360s until I was dizzy. This and a couple of other trips from her bump guru have helped my bump skiing a great deal. I do try the backwards skiing and 360s where no one can see me to avoid hurting someone and being labeled a total idiot. My 360s are not very graceful and I don’t want anyone witnessing them.

Reply to I have to KevinF:

When my daughter was racing she was skiing a 200 cm slalom ski. Her smaller skiing buddy was skiing a different brand 180 cm ski. The two girls gave each other one of their skies and skied down WF each wearing one 200cm ski and one 180 cm ski. Kids are usually fun to ski with and keep you laughing most of the day.

awf170

ya i always ski backword and spin, sometimes i keep spinning until i just fall over from dizzyness( i dont know why, i guess its fun...) i just thought i was crazy to do it going like 30+ mph on steep terrian.