• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crotched Mountain 1/5/2006

tcharron

Date(s) Skied: 1/5/2006

Resort or Ski Area: Crotched Mountain

Conditions: VERY warm, wet snow

Trip Report:

Well, Friday night at Crotched Mountain midnight madness lived up to it's name. IT WAS 60 DEGREES OUTSIDE! Oh, did I mention it was raining occasionally?

We did learn a few things.

1) Skiing with a T-Shirt on rocks.
2) Skiing with a T-Shirt on and hit a browned out chunk of slushmud (tm) sux0rs.

The conditions where VERY unique friday night. The entire mountain was COVERED in mist as the snow was sublimating directly to fog. It was incredible to go up top and feel like you where in a cold sauna. It was like the London fog you see in movies, thick as pea soup.

Anyway, to the overall conditions of the mountain. After friday night, there's no way Crotched is going to have anything much left past Saturday. MUCH of the snow was in amazing condition considering a couple of days of 50-60 degree temps and rain. On the other hand, the sound of rushing water draining to the snowmaking pond was to be heard everywhere.

The blue trails that where open where in decent shape, from top to bottom, but where quickly fading to the middle as the sides gave way to the water coming down. Super-Nova and Comet where in decent shape, but the lack of base depth was showing thru. The top of comet was great, twards the bottom where it connects into Big Dipper and the terrain park was almost gone, however. Only about a 4 foot window to go thru, which sucked.

At the bottom, slush was the rule. Go down at a decent clip, and you'll soon turn to water skiing. :-D

We spent roughly 6 hours, thru occasional rain, and overall had an absolute blast. While I curse the warmth, at least me and the family had a chance to enjoy the snow while it screamed it's last goodbye. :)

I'll be watching for new snowmaking starting probrably Monday or Tuesday night, but in the meantime, I don't see how they'll be open for much on Sunday and Monday.