• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Dartmouth College Passion for Snow Documentary

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Just ran across this article:

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20130316/NEWHAMPSHIRE01/130319181

Based on the 2010 book "Passion for Skiing" by Dartmouth College graduate Stephen Waterhouse, class of 1965, the film covers 100-plus years of skiing history at the college, from the first Dartmouth Winter Carnival through present day.

"The film covers an amazing story that has unfolded over the past hundred years," said Waterhouse, who served as executive producer of the film version of his book. "You'll see not only many champion skiers in action, but also people like Dr. Seuss, the late Surgeon General Dr. C. Everett Koop and Robert Frost, who were influenced in their careers after spending winters in Hanover."

Has anyone read this book? It sounds interesting but the Kindle edition is $60!

snowmonster

I was actually thinking of purchasing this book. The hardcover copy goes for $75 -- which is why I put it back on the shelf. A lot of ski history is tied to the Dartmouth Outing Club. If you ski Tuckerman Ravine or Mount Moosilauke, you have the DOC to thank.

dartmouth01

It was a great experience, which is prolly why I decided to stay for 8 years and two bachelors and a masters. But snow gets into your veins while you're there, which is why I gave up a great desk job to make minimum wage at Heavenly in Tahoe. :)

ScottySkis

It was a great experience, which is prolly why I decided to stay for 8 years and two bachelors and a masters. But snow gets into your veins while you're there, which is why I gave up a great desk job to make minimum wage at Heavenly in Tahoe. :)
A ski bum, that is awesome thing to be.:thumbup::thumbup::):):):thumbup:;):cool::)