• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Drastic Quiver changes in 2008?

Trekchick

My quiver changed in a fairly big way in 2008. How about yours?
Beginning of the season
n830505017_1877855_755.jpg

End of Season:
n830505017_2809620_2101.jpg

I've thinned the quiver and yet........its FATTER!!!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Very much so. I hadn't purchased new skis for myself since 2002-2003. This year I bought TWO! I may add a race stock ski for fast days next season if I find a good deal.

mondeo

Second year on my only pair of skis, and the first "real" year (only 6 times last year.) Figure one more year (50+ days) on this pair of skis; hopefully after that I'll be past the hurdle of buying a house, too, and won't be as compelled to question every purchasing decision.

Thing is, I'm not sure that I'd have more than one ski, unless it was a backup or rock bump ski. I consider myself to be a dedicated (albeit not very good) bump skier, and even the days I'm not in the bumps I'm trying to work on my bump technique. Even though a different ski might be better for those days, I'm not sure that it's a good idea to practice bump technique on something I'm not going to ski in the bumps. Maybe when I get old.

Although, as long as your including your boots in the first shot (and the fact that they're Kryptons,) I will mention that I made a major boot upgrade, 10 year old and oversized Alpinas to Krypton Pros. No looking back on that decision.

drjeff

My quiver changed in a fairly big way in 2008. How about yours?
Beginning of the season
n830505017_1877855_755.jpg

End of Season:
n830505017_2809620_2101.jpg

I've thinned the quiver and yet........its FATTER!!!

Quick, go out and add to the quiver, your's lost almost all of it's color during this past season ;)

Next season I'm going to snowblades..they're lighter to carry..and great for the really tight glades..JEA!!!!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Even though a different ski might be better for those days, I'm not sure that it's a good idea to practice bump technique on something I'm not going to ski in the bumps.

I don't think it would hurt your technique at all. I love bumps as much as the next guy, but definitely wouldn't want to be caught on designed bump skis during a powder day. My powder boards are probably close to 130mm underfoot and they do just fine in the bumps on powder days.

Trekchick

Although, as long as your including your boots in the first shot (and the fact that they're Kryptons,) I will mention that I made a major boot upgrade, 10 year old and oversized Alpinas to Krypton Pros. No looking back on that decision.
The boots are sort of in the second pic too, but in the hot gear bag.
:grin:
Love my kryptons!
The Zip Fit Hot Gear Bag is an awesome addition to my gear. Keeps my boots toasty warm and keeps my cinnamon buns the perfect temp for the road trip too!

jack97

Love my kryptons!

Another Krypton Brotha and Sista. Long live the open throat....Oo-rah!

BTW, Tchick whats up with going fatter underneath?

Trekchick

Another Krypton Brotha and Sista. Long live the open throat....Oo-rah!

BTW, Tchick whats up with going fatter underneath?
I originally got my 88 waisted (Karma) used, thinking it would be fun to try but it was such a bargain, I couldn't pass it up. Then I had some significant rock hits and pretty much trashed them. In the search of a replacement, I demoed some fatter stuff and ended up having tons of fun on them.
In my quiver, you're looking at
The Ski, Bump specific 65 ish under foot
Blizzard Mag SL 64 under foot(Ice skates)
Blizzard Eos 88 under foot, really versatile and fun in the trees, bumps pretty much everything but hard pack.
BlueHouse MR171 94 under foot, Noodle, soft soft soft. With the right tune, it is grippy and fun to play on, Destined to be my rock skis.
And the best of the bunch. The Bros!
174 Softs which are not soft in any manner 99 under foot, tons of fun, stable like no ones business, Freakin Freight trains!!!

Eeeee Gads I love to ski!

BeanoNYC

Yep...Got rid of a pair of K2 Apache Blackhawks (68mm Waist) and Volkl AC3 (74) and Replaced them with K2 Public Enemy Twin Tips (84) and Volkl Mantras (96)

millerm277

Got rid of a pair of Atomic C:6's. Added a second pair of Bandit BX's (70mm Waist) as I'm not sure how much longer I can get them for, and a pair of Bandit B2's (78mm) for softer/powder conditions.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Got rid of a pair of Atomic C:6's. Added a second pair of Bandit BX's (70mm Waist) as I'm not sure how much longer I can get them for, and a pair of Bandit B2's (78mm) for softer/powder conditions.

Interesting, those are the exact same skis I purchased this year. I got a set of B2's last fall (174)and a set of BX's (176)this spring.

powbmps

I think I just added a new pair of Hart F17's to my quiver. That is one Sweeeeeeeeet bump ski!!

Did you get a chance to demo those at A-Basin, any impressions? (serious question)

At over $1,000 are they twice as good as the Head Mojo and three times better than the K2 Mamba or the Rossi Mogul? (not so serious question)

2knees

Did you get a chance to demo those at A-Basin, any impressions? (serious question)

At over $1,000 are they twice as good as the Head Mojo and three times better than the K2 Mamba or the Rossi Mogul? (not so serious question)

A grand for a mogul ski? that seems a bit ridiculous to me but i'm completely ignorant on the issues of gear.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Wow $1000??? I wouldn't pay that for a pair of FIS race stock skis with plates and bindings.

I guess affordability lies in ones own wallet, but I've never paid more than $500 for a set of skis with bindings in my lifetime.

But if you can afford it and you enjoy them, go for it.

jack97

But if you can afford it and you enjoy them, go for it.

That's the problem...... people willing to pay 1K or even sub $500 on the discount market are driving up the cost. In this case, perception equals value,

No way I'm dishing out $500 (even at discount) for a ski that I'm going to beat up.

That's the problem...... people willing to pay 1K or even sub $500 on the discount market are driving up the cost. In this case, perception equals value,

No way I'm dishing out $500 (even at discount) for a ski that I'm going to beat up.

The cost of skis is actually going down..for me at least thanks to the internet. My Rossi Sprayer BCs were only $170 on Steep and Cheap and with binders and mountain the set up was still only around $350..and back in college I paid $500 for my K2 El Caminos with Marker M-51 binders..Race Stock Atomics are uber expensive but you can get good deals on 1-2 year old models..

jack97

The cost of skis is actually going down..for me at least thanks to the internet. My Rossi Sprayer BCs were only $170 on Steep and Cheap and with binders and mountain the set up was still only around $350..and back in college I paid $500 for my K2 El Caminos with Marker M-51 binders..Race Stock Atomics are uber expensive but you can get good deals on 1-2 year old models..

Yeah, the net is great!

In terms of mogul ski, seems the going rate on 1-2 yr models on the net is about half the MSRP ($200-$350), if you can get them lower, then you're getting a good deal.

Hart is missing the boat on this, IMO, the market is slim on a "high performance" mogul skis. Even if they claim durability, I don't see how they can prevent core shots or edge deforms when taking these skis out in the woods or dirt bottom troughs.

The cynic in me thinks they want to sell at $500 b/c they can't compete with volume manufacturing.