• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Early thoughts on the World Series 2011

Trekchick

I posted this on EpicSki and thought........Hmmmmm, I bet the AZ'ers would have a whole different perspective, so lets find out what they have to say!

I know, I know....the World Series is a bit away, but there have been a few things happening in the past few days that have caused some room for discussion in my house.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings/_/sort/playoffPercent/order/true

As of September 16, 2011, the Detroit Tigers have synched a spot in the American League play offs.
The Philadelphia Phillies synched their spot in the National League play offs just a few days earlier.

This brings me to the reason for discussion........
Lets say the Phillies and Tigers end up in the World Series - How does a Michigan Girl and Philly Guy handle this?

Talk about a house divided :argue:

Mildcat

Hey Trekchick, I'm a Sox fan and my ex gf was a Yankees fan. We had an agreement that kept things peaceful. After the 2003 ALCS she could trash talk all she wanted and after the 2004 ALCS I kept my mouth shut. :)

MR. evil

I'm going with the Sox. A co-workers first two children were both born during seasons the Sox won it all. He just had his 3rd about a month ago.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Really hoping it is the Sox. A long ways until then. It is looking less and less likely though. They are struggling.

darent

I posted this on EpicSki and thought........Hmmmmm, I bet the AZ'ers would have a whole different perspective, so lets find out what they have to say!

I know, I know....the World Series is a bit away, but there have been a few things happening in the past few days that have caused some room for discussion in my house.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings/_/sort/playoffPercent/order/true

As of September 16, 2011, the Detroit Tigers have synched a spot in the American League play offs.
The Philadelphia Phillies synched their spot in the National League play offs just a few days earlier.

This brings me to the reason for discussion........
Lets say the Phillies and Tigers end up in the World Series - How does a Michigan Girl and Philly Guy handle this?

Talk about a house divided :argue:
watch the game together wearing redsox hats thinking about what could have been

ctenidae

It's still early, so some things could still change around. What I know for sure, though, is that the World Series will have 2 teams involved, and will run a maximum of 7 and a minimum of 4 games. Each game will be "won" by the team that doesn't score the least points, and the Series winner will be the team who has won at least, but no more that, 4 of the potential 7 games.

Beyond that, your guess is as good as mine. As for how a Michigan/Philly couple can get along, well, we tend to frown on that sort of thing in these parts.

WJenness

What you're all saying is that the Sox will be taken down by the Tigers in the World Series this season?

[trekchick ducking now]

I will bet every dime I have access to that this scenario will not come to pass...

NO WAY the Tigers beat the Sox in the World Series. NO WAY!

-w

wa-loaf

I will bet every dime I have access to that this scenario will not come to pass...

NO WAY the Tigers beat the Sox in the World Series. NO WAY!

-w

because the sox won't make it to the playoffs at this rate ... :p

And prob because they are both in the American League.

Trekchick

because the sox won't make it to the playoffs at this rate ... :p

And prob because they are both in the American League.

Actually I caught that as soon as I posted it......
Don't they have to beat the Yankees in order to play the Tigers in the Play Offs?

This thread is quickly turning into a Sox fans' self-flagellation forum. Oh the pain!

Don't you mean, "Oi - the pain!"

Glad I could bring a new twist to the MLB-gasm's on AZ

Philpug

Phils. The Phillies will win it all. You can talk amongst yourself until that point. Enjoy what little glory you will have until then.

Last edited:

MR. evil

What you're all saying is that the Sox will be taken down by the Tigers in the World Series this season?

[trekchick ducking now]

Pretty sure they are both in the American league and not possibly to play one another in the WS.

Trekchick

After the gams of Wednesday, its time to start thinking of the possibilities in front of us.

With the way the Rays pulling through, I wouldn't be surprised if they go deep into the play offs.

soposkier

Phillies over Tigers in 6.

Rays could barely beat yankees AA/AAA pitching.

Trekchick

Phillies over Tigers in 6.

Rays could barely beat yankees AA/AAA pitching.
I agree that the Rays are a loooooong shot, but they seem to be the team that comes from nowhere to win.

As for the Phillies over Tigers, you may be right, but it won't keep me from Roaring like a Tiger!

Trekchick

The Rangers beat the Rays.
The Tigers squeaked out a win against the Yankees tonight.

I think the Tigers can take the Rangers. If that happens, and if the Phillies do as well as I think they will, this may, in deed, be an interesting World Series in our house.

Anyone want to take bets on Phil or TC?