• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Easter Weekend - Where Are You Skiing/Riding?

prsboogie

Not sure how it will play out but... The cat on Saturday and BW/Killy Monday. I will likely get FKEd and only get one day but hear'a to hoping!!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

cdskier

not to be disagreeable but I like getting out there early and skiing the frozen/shady snow and then have the 2nd half of the day on spring snow

I'm all for extending hours and starting at 9 though.

I agree with this. I often enjoy starting on the groomers while the other trails soften up. I would rather have the choice on when to start skiing, especially on days that I may need to leave early.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think it's great that some places go to 5 during the spring, but tbh I can't recall ever skiing after 4 unless it's a night skiing session. Do many of you make it past 4 and ski until last chair at 5?

This Saturday I'll likely get on the hill at Wildcat around 10. By 3 I'm sure I'll be toast. Peak season during great conditions 6 hour sessions are pretty common for me, but in the spring I'm usually pretty satisfied at 4-5 hours. Pretty easy to ski 30K+ vert at Wildcat in that time including a decent lunch break.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

slatham

Agreed that as a full day skier I am not likely to go past 4. But from what I saw at Sugarbush yesterday a lot of people come up in the afternoon, presumably after work/school, and that extra hour makes a big difference.

Smellytele

Well My plans have changed and I will be doing Tuckerman's tomorrow with my 14 year old but if I start early enough we may still take a few runs at Wildcat after

Kleetus

Last minute last hurrah to K tomorrow and Sunday. Gotta keep the tradition alive of ending my season at K for 4 years running. May make it up in May for some laps on SS but work is filling up my schedule quick so want to get at it this weekend.

urungus

ss20 covered it pretty well. I agree East Fall is a must, it's a solid black but it's short, though it feels long, just about the perfect pitch and softens up nicely.

Escapade and Downdraft are double blacks that will have good coverage and they only have a short steep section towards the bottom. Most of these trails would not be rated a double. These should not intimidate you much. Double Dipper you can see from the Canyon Quad, it barely qualifies as a double black also.

You should be able to ski just about the whole available terrain this weekend so just point your skis whichever direction you like. Only trails I'd recommend avoiding if you're looking to avoid true double blacks would be Outer Limits and Ovation.

Got to K-Mart at noon and skied Needles Eye, Bittersweet, Skyelark, Superstar, East Fall, Cascade. Everything was bumped up and soft. Cascade wasn't too difficult, for me the very top of Superstar was more challenging. Great day! Will be checking out Bear Mountain and Ramshead when they reopen tomorrow. Thanks for the advice everybody!

Also... cool Iron Maiden pix. Will be seeing them in about two months, first time I saw them was in 1984 on the legendary Powerslave tour. Up the irons!!

urungus

Yeah, got a late start hitting the road on Friday. It happens. Then got a speeding ticket trying to make up for lost time... But did manage to hit the slopes promptly at 8:00 yesterday. Even caught a glimpse of the King of Spring in his blue Speedo presiding over the pond skimming contest.

Last edited:

Jcb890

Killington was fantastic yesterday. We started by 8 and stopped around 11:30 or noon... mostly because I forgot to pack our outer layers, so we had to ride in base layers and got wet pretty quick! DOH! If you saw a guy in blue Patriots pajama pants, that was me... :lol:

Crowds weren't bad, my wife and I got our own gondola rides up the first two times and I never waited more than 2-3 gondolas even when it was busier around 1030 or 11.

The snow was awesome though and I wish I hadn't forgotten our layers so we would have not been so soaked and could have gone longer. The weather and amount of available terrain made it a really enjoyable day.

Hit Cascade 1st run of the day and it was firm but not bad. A good leg burner to kick things off. I also got to Superstar and East Fall before they got bumped up but it was already starting to soften and bump up on those trails by maybe 1030. Great Northern was chewed up pretty early but made for lots of fun soft bumps and ruts to ride around on.

Superstar is still looking quite deep right now. The snowpack is well above where the chairs ride on the lift and the headwall is still pretty tall (photo attached).

Wildcat seems like it could get some rain tomorrow (Monday), but that's still the plan.

Attachments

• 20170415_095235.jpg
    20170415_095235.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 91

SkiingInABlueDream

At some point in the spring season I think the morning hours become less relevant. Surfaces are either still frozen or not yet soft enough. I definitely think areas should shift hours. 10-6 or 7 (or 11-7 if it can only be 8 hrs total) would be ideal IMO.

I'll eat my words for brunch today, at least WRT yesterday. 11-4 at Wildcat yesterday I was done, not at all disappointed they didnt run till 5. Maybe it's because it was starting to cloud over, or I ran out of water or would've needed another chili, or I'm coming off a cold, or Im just out of shape. But whatver the case I was done and very satisfied.
Favorite runs were Starr Line, all of Lynx, and skier's left on Alleycat with deep corn-slush that skied a bit like dense powder.

Tuckerman's must've been quite a scene yesterday!

Last edited:

xwhaler

Wildcat. Great adventure turns. Awesome wknd up here. Amazing amount of snow loss since yesterday

Days #49 &50 on the season

a34b3af1996b64ff914b4d989a647200.jpg
5705416e274133499f764d08442f16c5.jpg
3bc42e4ac6cb19aa2ecdf4dad21ac277.jpg
f7ec026aa986651340269363d5b12d6b.jpg
fd8a898507ad45545d0d65877f04081d.jpg
89ce5c35db6281821a78ef5198763e32.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited:

chuckstah

I was at WC today also. Massive snow melt. Flowing rivers on open trails. Hope they make May. Need to get in my days on next years pass. I was told open daily, unless it rains. These trails were open
b281d174c9dcbe37d3b0c07c35f58744.jpg
dcbe649610b89323603d4cd279d82e76.jpg
295b987d6a315fc9ff6793a52dd64838.jpg

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app