• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Edge Bevel

SKIQUATTRO

my Sugar Daddies are factory 1 side 1 base...I'm thinking about givin' them a 2.5-3.0 side and 1 base to give them a better hardpack grip when needed

Dims: Tip 126
Dims: Waist 99
Dims: Tail 117
Turning Radius 29m @ 183cm

thoughts??

kbroderick

I went to 2 deg of side bevel on my K2 Anti Pistes and was much happier with their hard-snow performance afterwards; I don't think I'd ski less than 2 degrees on anything intended for actual turning (I don't know about park skis). I also don't know that I'd go beyond 2 on an all-mountain ski; every pair of skis I've skied at both 2 degrees and 3 degrees has stayed sharp longer at 2 degrees, and the sharpness difference is much more perceptible in carved turns on race snow than all-mountain skiing.

snowmonster

I think Atomic race skis are all 3:1. Not so for the others. 2:1 sounds about right for the Sugar Daddies given what we have out here. I keep my B4 (122/94/112) at 2:1 and they grip well. More than the actual angles, the important thing is to keep the edge sharp so that they grip. Gotta work on the edges after every ski day.

SKIQUATTRO

I thought all Atomics were 3:1 as well, but couldnt see them doing 3:1 on a Pow ski...so i called Atomic HQ in Utah, the Sugar is factory 1:1..

Hawkshot99

I thought all Atomics were 3:1 as well, but couldnt see them doing 3:1 on a Pow ski...so i called Atomic HQ in Utah, the Sugar is factory 1:1..

Good to know. Thanks for correcting me. If you want to raise it to 2:1 I see no problem. I have raised all my skis that have been sharpened to that, with no problems.

SKIQUATTRO

i tune my metrons 3:1, will do the Daddies to 2:1 just to give a bit more bit when needed here in the east...out west i'd be 1:1