• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Elk Sun. Jan 27 2013

ScottySkis

3 day out this year at Elk first day of being early and getting the most sleep before going to Elk, 5 or so hours before my normal 2 am wake up for no reason. Got there in our in a half going 75 mph on the highwway, love this commute. Got there by 745am and was suppose to meet Mr Corn and others in parking lot. Could not find their car so I went to the hill. Got on shuttle and bought my Ticket $45 for the morning only 4 hours that can be used for much longer and was. Tried to get a hold of Corn on my mobile but no luck, so did what any one here would do went skiing. Yes cold this morning but I was find with the good selection of ski clothes. NO wind. Did the trails first off the two doubles by the lodge , nice expert ones to the left were some really nice and groomed and steep. 1 minute line at the most I like this. Did some 2 more trails, at 930 ish got a good small coffee and egg sandwich and hung up my coat and helmet and trying again in getting in touch with Corn. No luck but warmed for 20 minutes and went out. Went over to the Right hill and skiied of the quad, lots of nice but not extremly hard moguls trails here, and some nice groomed, I think this side skis bigger then the left side. Snow a little in the morning always a nice surprise. Skiied some more runs and went to the bathroom called Mr Corn and left him a message , he got in touch and started skiing together with other A zoner. around 1130am. Wow they are fast sorry they had to wait for my slow ass and great to be skiing with A zoners. Stayed to 330pm ish. Great chicken thanks Corn that was the bomb even the ones from the ground that I dropped lol. Great hanging with my girl MJ again thanks for sharing guys.
64424-canna-cola-comes-in-12-ounce-bottles.jpg
Hopefully we will have some of these next time.lol.

SKI-3PO

Started skiing a bit before 9. Met up with Cornhead and spring_mountain_high - sorry, we were too slow to keep up - maybe we can get more runs next time if I'm by myself. Did a lot of runs on the various mogul trails - good conditions for working on the skills there. Started out a bit cold, but once the sun burned the clouds off, it was about perfect. They've blown a lot of snow - good coverage everywhere we went. Not too crowded - short lines mostly disappeared in the afternoon. Lots of patrollers practicing (testing?) their sled skills. Skied till 4. Good day in PA.

Sorry we missed you Scotty - maybe next time with that too.

Cornhead

Great meeting and skiing with all of you today! I was begining to think I would meet Bigfoot before I would meet Scotty! Glad we finally hooked up. SKI3PO, glad we got to ski a few runs with you and your kids, both great skiers btw. Let me know next time you plan on skiing Elk, maybe we can spend more time together then. Scotty, sorry that damn bread wasn't tall enough to wrap around the spiedies, that's the whole point of its existence. Someone at Roma's bakery dropped the ball on that one. Thanks again everyone for making the effort to unite, it made an awesome day at Elk even better.

Funny story, while I was waiting for spring_mountain_high to use the facilities at the lodge, I sat at a table full of Elk employees. One of them was telling how a skier had given him a lift ticket to Park City. He offered to give it to his coworkers, no one wanted it. I said, "I'll take it", he tosses me the card. I'm going to see if it expires this year, if not I may be able to use it, if so PM me if you think you may be able to use it. It's an RF card, for all I know, it may be no good at all.

Rambo

Hey guys, I did not go to Elk because I have a seasons pass to Greek Peak, so I went there all day. Scotty you are right, Cornmuffin is FAST... he rips the slopes on his Volkl Mantras - he is quite the crusier and it is hard to keep up with him.

Cornhead

How was Greek? Elk was awesome, you should have come, we all bought morning passes and Scotty and I skied till 3 or so, $45. They claimed to be 100% open, they were except for Lehigh, the long green off Deleware, false advertising. Everything skied great.

I couldn't believe the spiedies didn't fit on the bread, WTF, quality control? That's why people buy it. I'll look more closely next time I buy it. They cooked really weird since they were almost frozen, they didn't brown up, and they picked up shit from the grate, but they were ok. They were from the Spiedie and Rib Pit. I should have let the grill get hotter too, it was cool, in the 20's. It wasn't the best promotional day for spiedies. I learned to park halfway down the lot if it's sunny too, we were in the shadows.

Rambo

Hey Cornhead, I like how Scotty refered to you as "Mr. Corn". I had this real scarry thought - what if Cornhead's Volkl Tigersharks were 184's instead of 168's - Oh my God, Corn would have a second, high speed weapon to blow away us slower skiers.

Anyways, Greek started out with decent conditions. Illiad was closed all day with snowmaking. I'm not sure if Mars Hill had been groomed, and they opened Arcadian Gate for a couple of hours then for some reason closed it. Arcadian had decent powder. However, there were enough skiers at Greek that the trails got scraped down with huge splotches of hard slick ice here and there. It was nice to get some sun, now and then. Saw Camo-John and Walt the horn-man.

ScottySkis

How was Greek? Elk was awesome, you should have come, we all bought morning passes and Scotty and I skied till 3 or so, $45. They claimed to be 100% open, they were except for Lehigh, the long green off Deleware, false advertising. Everything skied great.

I couldn't believe the spiedies didn't fit on the bread, WTF, quality control? That's why people buy it. I'll look more closely next time I buy it. They cooked really weird since they were almost frozen, they didn't brown up, and they picked up shit from the grate, but they were ok. They were from the Spiedie and Rib Pit. I should have let the grill get hotter too, it was cool, in the 20's. It wasn't the best promotional day for spiedies. I learned to park halfway down the lot if it's sunny too, we were in the shadows.

It was great meeting everyone. The people who I didn't get to meet sorry hopefully next time. The food was great, honest I could a crappy burger in the lodge or good BBQ chicken, chicken was very good. :thumbup:

Cornhead

Stopped by Elk Tue morning nice soft snow everywhere Soft bumps on 4 trails Good skiers all around since it was PSIA day.
I think the average ability of most Elk skiers is on the higher side, kinda like Platty, it is out of the way for most who go there, inexperienced skiers/boarders are more likely to stop somewhere closer to home, same with Platty.