• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

End of online anonymity? End of internet forums?

legalskier

*** A far-reaching bill introduced in the New York State Senate could end the practice of posting online once and for all. [It] would require that any anonymous post online is subject to removal if the poster refuses to post — and verify — their legal name, their IP address, and their home address. From the (likely well intentioned) bill:
"A web site administrator upon request shall remove any comments posted on his or her web site by an anonymous poster unless such anonymous poster agrees to attach his or her name to the post and confirms that his or her IP address, legal name, and home address are accurate. All web site administrators shall have a contact number or e-mail address posted for such removal requests, clearly visible in any sections where comments are posted." ***

Full story: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technol...end-anonymous-internet-posting-162549128.html

Would it result in "the full-scale elimination of all comment systems everywhere?"
:-o

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
It won't go any where.

That said, I've noticed a lot of news outlets moving their comments to Facebook log in which means your real name is associated with your comment for all the world to see. I certainly see significantly less hostility and absurd commentary on these comment pages than on news article comments with anon posting.

Not saying I am for going it, but it certainly promotes civility.

ctenidae

That said, I've noticed a lot of news outlets moving their comments to Facebook log in which means your real name is associated with your comment for all the world to see.

Another good reason to ditch Facebook.

Of course, I never post commetns on news articles, adn oly read comments if someone says they're funny, like Amazon reviews.