• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

End of season gear sales

Glenn

Gotta love em! After a nice visit with vcunning and drjeff at vcunning's Carnthia slopeside snowbar, my wife and I hit Mt. Snow sports in the main base lodge. 50% off jackets and outterwear. I managed to find a nice Marker jacket. This may mean my vintage 80lb North Face Scot Schmidt Steep Tech will go into semi retirement. This new jacket feels like a windbreaker weightwise. My wife managed to score two jackets; a Marker parka and a Spyder jacket that's more light weight.

I also managed to score a nice pair of cargo ski pants down the road at Sports Odessy; 50% off there as well. Those will replace my current ones which make me look like I'm doing a promo ad for Nutri-System.

Euler

I hit a 75% off sale at a store in Montpelier last Thursday and scored a new pair of Columbia snow pants for $28!!

drjeff

Gotta love em! After a nice visit with vcunning and drjeff at vcunning's Carnthia slopeside snowbar, my wife and I hit Mt. Snow sports in the main base lodge. 50% off jackets and outterwear. I managed to find a nice Marker jacket. This may mean my vintage 80lb North Face Scot Schmidt Steep Tech will go into semi retirement. This new jacket feels like a windbreaker weightwise. My wife managed to score two jackets; a Marker parka and a Spyder jacket that's more light weight.

I also managed to score a nice pair of cargo ski pants down the road at Sports Odessy; 50% off there as well. Those will replace my current ones which make me look like I'm doing a promo ad for Nutri-System.

I almost didn't recognize you in the new coat this weekend. It's almost like you're "Mini Glenn" now ;) :lol:

Glenn

I almost didn't recognize you in the new coat this weekend. It's almost like you're "Mini Glenn" now ;) :lol:

I don't recognize myself in the pics we took this weekend on the slopes. :lol:

It's amazing how much better you feel when your ski coat drops about 20lbs. I have less crap in my pockets now too. Probably because there are less pockets to put stuff in!

Hawkshot99

I have my jackets at 60% off now. It is amazing the number of complaints I get from people either complaining that they had to pay full price earlier in the season, or that my selection is not that good now. It is almost April people, and we are trying to clear out our leftovers.....

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I picked up a GoPro Hero HD helmet/bike camera. Got it off REI for $240 using the 20% members coupon that's out right now. I couldn't find a better price on that anywhere.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Just picked up the DAKINE Adjustable Tuning Iron that was on TD. I think it's time to retire my $1.99 iron I picked up at a thrift shop.

Glenn

Just picked up the DAKINE Adjustable Tuning Iron that was on TD. I think it's time to retire my $1.99 iron I picked up at a thrift shop.

You'll love it. I upgraded last year to a Swix. Huge difference.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
what you guys using for a tuning bench? something you bought or made? if made, can you share design/pictures? want to build something this summer.
I actually made mine. It works pretty well about 80% of the time. It took me about an hour and cost less then $100.

Hawkshot99

what you guys using for a tuning bench? something you bought or made? if made, can you share design/pictures? want to build something this summer.

I have a plywood bench with 2 2x4's mounted on it. Spread out 2 feet apart or so. Screwed 2 old bike tubes to the 2x4's to hold the skis.

gmcunni

I actually made mine. It works pretty well about 80% of the time. It took me about an hour and cost less then $100.

I have a plywood bench with 2 2x4's mounted on it. Spread out 2 feet apart or so. Screwed 2 old bike tubes to the 2x4's to hold the skis.

if you get a chance a quick photo (pm or posted here) would be appreciated.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I can't picture that. Can you take a pic of it? I'm thinking of ways to improve the stability of the ski while I'm working on it.

Glenn

I built this bench in CT and used it for one season. With the vises, it worked great:

DSC03985Medium.jpg

Space is very very limited in VT, so bringing up the bench wasn't an option. When I first started tuning my skis in Jr High, a buddy of mine had one of these:

WM225.jpg

I bought one and it works pretty good! It's easy to store as well. I'm able to hold the skis down just with the bench; no vises needed. The downside is it's a bit tipsy. My skis are longer so when scraping the tips or tails, I have to be mindful.

gmcunni

I built this bench in CT and used it for one season. With the vises, it worked great: .

so do you just "mount" the ski into the vices and work on it there? seems simple, i have a workbench already and could just drop the vices on it.

Glenn

so do you just "mount" the ski into the vices and work on it there? seems simple, i have a workbench already and could just drop the vices on it.

Exactly. The vises are easily mounted to the edge of the bench. However, I had to be mindful of the thickness of the edge of the bench when builing it. I set back the top support 2x4 a few inches. Had I mounted it flush with the edge of the bench top, there's no way my vises would have worked. The part of the vise that holds it to the bench top only opens up a small amount. This may be just an issue with my vises though...I think others open more to accomodate a wider mounting area.