• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Enjoying Closed runs on days with big dumps.

drjeff

Yeah I was looking forward to hooking up. The more people I talk to about the injury the less likely it seems I'll be skiing again this year.

Just be patient and let it heal properly. Enjoy reliving the days you got in this year, and that way you'll have many future seasons worth of memories to come. Much better than pushing it too much and risk messing up more of your future skiing "career"

ScottySkis

I'll be OK. What I'm really worried about is my fathers operation tomorrow (triple bypass). It hasn't been a good week for my family.

Sorry , my dad that operation a few years ago, and his heart is much better, wish your dad and you luck and look foward to a speedy recovery for both of you.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Because I'm a thick headed SOB.

:lol: Got it. I, for one, would not want to go to Rutland Regional, let alone Bennington Hospital, which are the closest ones.

Sorry about the recent misfortunes for you, man. Pop in some Greg Stump or Warren Miller, kick back, relax, and get better.

skiNEwhere

Bump.

Resorts in CO are notorious for closing down terrain in the "late season" (early April) due to dwindling numbers. Beaver Creek shut down half the mountain and most of the glades last season probably because it wasn't worth the man hours to patrol them and keep them open, even after an 8 inch storm. In this case I'm much more inclined to go exploring.

Puck it

Bump.

Resorts in CO are notorious for closing down terrain in the "late season" (early April) due to dwindling numbers. Beaver Creek shut down half the mountain and most of the glades last season probably because it wasn't worth the man hours to patrol them and keep them open, even after an 8 inch storm. In this case I'm much more inclined to go exploring.

Hell yeah. Ropes really don't mean much to me. I realize the risk when I am doing.

Savemeasammy

that or patrol is slow on the trail checks. Either way you are doing a service to your fellow skiers by checking on the snow condition.

Sometimes I like to do the mountain a courtesy by checking several times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deadheadskier

Staff member
I urge some caution though. It is possible that while checking out closed terrain conditions for other skiers, you may encounter a different kind of "dump" all together, which was the case at last years summit when bvibert and I headed out into a closed Brackett Basin.

MadMadWorld

I urge some caution though. It is possible that while checking out closed terrain conditions for other skiers, you may encounter a different kind of "dump" all together, which was the case at last years summit when bvibert and I headed out into a closed Brackett Basin.

Seriously? I get #1 but that's just awkward.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't think Brian or I took a photo. But, yup, someone left a nice Baby Ruth right in the middle of the lower traverse out to Can't Dog.

dlague

Sometimes I like to do the mountain a courtesy by checking several times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple of years ago we got a dumping - like 2 ft on October 29th into the 30th and we headed to Killington. Naturally, they had the Gondola running but the only open trails were those serviced by North Ridge Triple. However, we could see that there was good coverage and opted to try a run to the bottom. It was so much fun ducking the ropes that we never skied the North Ridge Triple. We did see a guy bite it on some rocks that were below surface. We actually skied runs that already had first tracks.

We too wanted to help out by thoroughly checking out the closed trails and pack it down for the next snowfall so they could open the trail sooner.