• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Excessive crowds on the Modern day Ski mountain, Lift lines, Traffic lines & Parking issues. What, Where, When??

ThatGuy

WTAF?!

In comparison, Alta was "pretty mellow" today in the words of one Alta ski instructor I rode up the lift with. No helicopters and no ambulances that I saw.
Most people who are at Alta actually know how to ski..one thing for certain is my years of skiing ice are coming in handy this week

thetrailboss

Staff member
Most people who are at Alta actually know how to ski..one thing for certain is my years of skiing ice are coming in handy this week
We need snow. This is as bad as it gets. No significant new snow in a few weeks means that what we have gets compressed, icy, and just hard to ski. It sucks. It is what Ski Utah forgets to tell folks. Right now they are all still high fiving each other over how awesome last year was and crowing about how this year will also be awesome. We will only know for sure what this season was when it is over.

The last two nights at Brighton have been interesting. I've never seen the top of Snake Creek as thin as it has been. We're talking grass and rocks with some ice and moguls here and there. But they are not making snow for some odd reason. These runs are their main night runs as well--as in open 12 hours a day. A one person said to me the other night, "I guess they are just waiting for it to snow again."

BenedictGomez

Not surprised by the Whister commentary; rode a lift with a women last week who'd never skied in Utah before, and that's why they fled Vancouver for Christmas vacation - very little snow & what is open is a zoo she claimed.

KustyTheKlown

For now I just accept that weekends, holidays and powder days, for those that live close by, between Christmas and at least Presidents weekend, are going to be busy, and plan around them as much as possible. Still ski the weekend but am never surprised by the crowds. Ski with the head on a swivel. We get there early, try and find the nicest snow even if its on lower pitched trails and will cut it short, and ski another day if it becomes intolerable out there. The spring season is what I ski for all winter anyways.

i wanted to get home early yesterday anyway bc it was nye and i had had enough, but starting at first chair and just leaving or taking a break after 10:30 AM is sometimes the move. yesterday i skied the first two hours at stratton, logged 15k, and just left when the singles line became more than a 2 minute wait.

el nino is kinda proving itself. no snow in the pacNW or new england, while colorado california and utah are much closer to normal. tho still def low tide.

takeahike46er

Not surprised by the Whister commentary; rode a lift with a women last week who'd never skied in Utah before, and that's why they fled Vancouver for Christmas vacation - very little snow & what is open is a zoo she claimed.

She might have bet on the wrong horse. A couple feet of snow this past week allowed much of the W/B alpine to open, dispersed the holiday crowds and drastically improved conditions above mid.

Last edited: