• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Firefox 1.5 RC2

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
I'm using it, and don't seem to have a problem. I don't notice many changes other than the fact that some of my old extensions don't work with it. I'm a fan of supporting Beta software...

kcyanks1

salida said:
I'm using it, and don't seem to have a problem. I don't notice many changes other than the fact that some of my old extensions don't work with it. I'm a fan of supporting Beta software...

Get the Nightly Tester Tools extension and you can force old, uncompatible extensions to work with the newer Firefox release. Works great.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i am going to wait for the full release due to possible extension issues. i'll let the authors catch up the extensions and get the bugs out before i move on up.

kcyanks1

riverc0il said:
i am going to wait for the full release due to possible extension issues. i'll let the authors catch up the extensions and get the bugs out before i move on up.

Don't mean to be repetitive, but if you get Nightly Tester Tools you are fine with extensions. The thing about the extensions is that if you unzip them into multiple files, there is one file that has a line specifiying what version they can be used for. If you change one value you can then use it with a later version without Firefox complaining. That doesn't guarantee it will work, but I haven't had any problems doing that or using Nightly Tester Tools to use extensions. Lots of extensions don't have active support either, so even when a full release comes out, there is no guaranatee that every extension you will will be updated or updated quickly. If the only reason you are hesitant using RC2 is because of extensions, you might as well go for it now.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i read your post. i don't really want the hassle, thanks though... i can wait. the current version more than suits my needs already any ways so it's not an imperitive upgrade.

bvibert

Staff member
riverc0il said:
i read your post. i don't really want the hassle, thanks though... i can wait. the current version more than suits my needs already any ways so it's not an imperitive upgrade.

I feel the same way, no need waste that much time on it if it already works good enough for me...

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
Guys... Not trying to be a pain...

But maybe I'll put this in perspective. How many of you have one pair of skis that work just fine, and could be used in most conditions. However, you feel compelled to own three or fours pairs. Granted the first one worked just fine, you wanted to have the others just in case, or for other conditions or just for fun! Just because something works well doesn't mean we can't or won't use or buy another product.

Trying the browser helps develop the beta technology increasing the ability for open source code to be more effective, and in the end a better program. Thats why I try it.

PS I'm one of those people with lots of skis!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i have a lot of skis too, but don't feel the need to upgrade to a beta. sometimes i think betas are great. most software apps however get worse after their best version is released (AIM is a classic example, i still use 4.8.x). not to compare firefox with AIM! firefox is amongst the best open source free software ever created and i doubt additional versions will be worse. but since the security issues were addressed in the last major update, i do not seem substantial improvements to make me inclined to upgrade to a beta. in regards to helping the beta along with feedback, the programers using this software are much more likely to find significant bugs that need addressing. just isn't worth the hassle when i can't see anything i need improved.

dmc

People will argue about anything... funny..

I support BETA programs as well..

bvibert

Staff member
I'm not arguing either. I support the idea of beta programs. I just don't have the time to be screwing around with a beta browser right now. All I need is a browser that works and is secure.

YardSaleDad

Website
www.tirnalong.com
Dont Use RC2

Try RC3 instead 8) I just upgraded from RC2 to RC3 last night, and it's been running smoothly for me. I tend to use only a few extensions to keep the browser snappy with a small memory footprint.

YMMV