• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First aid kit

jimwhite

Hello all,

I'm going trekking round the white mountains national forest in the summer, and one thing I've been thinking is the need for a first aid kit of some sort - are we likely to need anything other than the usual bandages, plasters and antiseptic wipes? I don't think anything else would be needed, but any suggestions would be tres appreciated!

Cheers,
Jim

Edit: I'm now deciding which travel first aid kit to get out of this lot

Last edited:

drjeff

I always like to keep a small bottle of Benadryl spray in my 1st aid kit. You never know when you're going to brush up against some plant/bush/whatever that will leave you wanting to scratch the heck out of the contact area for the next hour or so! :eek: A quick squirt or 2 of the spray and you're once again just thinking about where your hiking as opposed scratching! :)

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Benadryl is a good item. I also pack some Motrin or similar.
I like to have first aid cream. It works better for me than just rinsing with water.
Keep your eye on your expiration dates.
Bring latex or plastic gloves. Replace them annually. Nothing worse than having them rip!
Definitely the mylar blanket. Matches.
There is a really, really nice new wrap - 3M Coban - compression wrap. Breathable, waterproof, sticks only to itself. Not cheap, but makes life a lot easier.

A flashlight can be useful while doing first aid.
Paper and pencil. You'd be surprise how useful these are.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Benadryl can also be useful for those having an allergic reaction. First aid cream is a religous debate. I just bring it. I find that of all the bandages, wraps and similar stuff in a premade kit, I use very few of the entire range of stuff. Note to self, weed out the kit. Don't forget a decent knife for cutting fabric, bandages, etc.

Oh yeah, an ACE bandage for those bigger issues.

I bring the official tool of Vermont, duct tape. It's also really good when your gear malfunctions. I also have a clean rag

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I always carry some basic first aid when I'm out mountain biking or hiking. Bandages, neosporin or similar, band-aids, antiseptic wipes, etc. Nothing too crazy just the basics.

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
Take a Wilderness First Aid course from SOLO or WMA. Once you have some training under your belt the F/A kit becomes a much more useful tool. Band-aids, ace bandages, medicines, gloves, etc are best if you know how and when to use them. Identifying issues before they become problems (hypothermia, heat stroke, dehydration) is often the most important thing.

Having said that, I carry band-aids, ace bandage, blister kit, tweezers, gauze pads, tape, scissors, cravats and straps for a splint, Ibuprofen, Tylenol, Benedryl, Epi-Pen, and gloves. In winter there are a few more things.