• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First time gear purchases

tommy5402

Well after me and my girl's first full ski season, we are ready to buy our own gear. Looking for a little direction from everyone here on where and what to expect. We are in brooklyn/si and want to get fitted for boots. Travel to NJ,LI, not too far upstate is possible to do this. I've done a little research and I was hoping to keep boots under $200. Any thoughts on this is greatly appreciated by all. Such as where to go, and maybe even when best time to buy would be. Before upcoming season of course.

Thanks in advance!

mondeo

Without knowing the area, I'd suggest a shop from this site:
http://www.bootfitters.com/FIND_SHOP.htm

I know the one they list in Connecticut is legit from personal experience, and the others on the list I've heard of, I've heard good things about. I think the big thing is to get a shell fit - this is with the liner out. You should be able to get 1, 1.5 fingers between your heel and the boot shell for a decent fit when your foot is all the way forward.

Greg

Staff member
Re: bootfitters. Jeff Bokum recommended Greg at Heino's in central NJ in this [post="76750"]post[/post]. Keith Holmquist up at Hunter also gets a nod quite a bit here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Skimeister

Re: bootfitters. Jeff Bokum recommended Greg at Heino's in central NJ in this [post="76750"]post[/post]. Keith Holmquist up at Hunter also gets a nod quite a bit here.

I'll second this. Heino's is on Rt 23, southbound side, in Wayne. They don't typically have their ski stuff out until Sept-bike occupy the place now.

wa-loaf

Thanks for all the replies. Do you guys think $200 is feesible for some entry lvl boots?

Yes, I don't know the NY area, but find a place where they are willing to take the time to work with you. Spend lots of time on the boots, try several pairs on and keep them on for 20 mins or more. Even if the first pair feels good. If the salesman tries to rush you into the purchase leave and find another shop. A good shop will also work with you after the sale to tweak the boots to fit. So find out before hand what their policy is. If they have a dedicated boot fitter even better. Stick to a full service shop and don't go to the Sports Authority or it's ilk.

Pick up a pair of the off the shelf footbeds too. That will probably push you over the $200 limit, but they are better than the stock stuff. When you replace these head to a dedicated bootfitter and get custom footbeds and expect to pay $500+.

Good luck!

bigbog

Yah, the shell-fit is one to check out.... Boots are the most important item....
A good footbed's pricing can be all over the map. What $100 buys can be all that's needed for one skier....hardly enough work for another guy/woman....

$.01

RISkier

Thanks for all the replies. Do you guys think $200 is feesible for some entry lvl boots?

I don't. And I don't think skimping on boots is smart investment. You don't need high end boots but you need boots that are appropriate for you ability and which fit YOUR foot. There will likely need to be some work on the boots. New boots that fit your foot will likely feel a bit cramped. Your toes should be touching the front of the liner when you are standing up -- they will pull away slightly when you lean into the front of the boots. I'd try to find a good bootfitter and let them fit you, then work with them to get things right (there will almost always be pressure points that need to be ground out). For example, my wife was fitted for boots and needed quite a few adjustments, she wasn't getting blood flow to one toe, but they were able to open it up and now she love the boots. Just don't think you can realistically do this for $200. My advice is to blow your budget on boots and then continue to rent skis till you can afford to buy. IMO, boots become kind of a continuous battle. I feel like I finally got boots that were really working well for me and then they packed out and feel too sloppy. That's my take, anyway. Oh, and Jeff Bokem is very good, though he may not be very convenient to you in terms of location.

BeanoNYC

Well after me and my girl's first full ski season, we are ready to buy our own gear. Looking for a little direction from everyone here on where and what to expect. We are in brooklyn/si and want to get fitted for boots. Travel to NJ,LI, not too far upstate is possible to do this. I've done a little research and I was hoping to keep boots under $200. Any thoughts on this is greatly appreciated by all. Such as where to go, and maybe even when best time to buy would be. Before upcoming season of course.

Thanks in advance!

If I were you I'd head over to Snohaus in Hempstead on Long Island when they open in August. You should be able to get a good deal on last years stock and they do a decent bootfitting. Ask for Jake, he's a very capable bootfitter, albeit not nearly as talented as Jeff Bokum up in New Hampshire. But for your needs I think that Jake would be a good match for you. They have great tent sales in August.

http://www.snohaus.com/

wa-loaf

I don't. And I don't think skimping on boots is smart investment. You don't need high end boots but you need boots that are appropriate for you ability and which fit YOUR foot. There will likely need to be some work on the boots. New boots that fit your foot will likely feel a bit cramped. Your toes should be touching the front of the liner when you are standing up -- they will pull away slightly when you lean into the front of the boots. I'd try to find a good bootfitter and let them fit you, then work with them to get things right (there will almost always be pressure points that need to be ground out). For example, my wife was fitted for boots and needed quite a few adjustments, she wasn't getting blood flow to one toe, but they were able to open it up and now she love the boots. Just don't think you can realistically do this for $200. My advice is to blow your budget on boots and then continue to rent skis till you can afford to buy. IMO, boots become kind of a continuous battle. I feel like I finally got boots that were really working well for me and then they packed out and feel too sloppy. That's my take, anyway. Oh, and Jeff Bokem is very good, though he may not be very convenient to you in terms of location.

I think that's overkill for a beginner. He just needs a shop with a good boot guy and guaranteed fit policy. I do think $250 - 300 will give him more options. I'd check out the place Beano recommended.

tommy5402

All good input guys. Definitly not looking to skimp, as I know its an important investment. Just looking for a ballpark number to work with, and a few places to check out. Me and my GF are still pretty green, but we really enjoyed last season at Belleayre Hunter and Gore!

Any fannypack suggestions??/ I want something large..and preferably visible from a rescue helicopter in case I get lost so Camo is out...Should I spend the extra on Gore-tex or use a Target fannypack wrapped in a plastic bag???

Phillycore

You shouldn't even consider buying boots based on cost...
Have your foot measured and take suggestions for shell fits based on the bootfitters recomendations...
Once you have the shell fit right then have the liner put in and go from there...
If the boots don't fit you that $200 you spent will be $1000 by the time you turn it back around and get some that do fit.. The bootfitter is going to set you up with a recreational boot anyway since you said you are just getting out there and they run a lot cheaper to begin with.

If you find something that fits you good then shop around for price on the net... You can save a lot that way by going with leftover gear, etc.. A lot of times the boots don't change except for color...

Save the money on your skis and not on your boots....

JMO

Phillycore

Any fannypack suggestions??/ I want something large..and preferably visible from a rescue helicopter in case I get lost so Camo is out...Should I spend the extra on Gore-tex or use a Target fannypack wrapped in a plastic bag???

Doug you know you are my boy....but sometimes you'd be a lot better off helping someone out rather than making a short joke comment to boost your thread count.

A lot of people on the net could use advice from someone of your ability and knowledge base.

The joke is funny, but follow it up with some advice as well...

Doug you know you are my boy....but sometimes you'd be a lot better off helping someone out rather than making a short joke comment to boost your thread count.

A lot of people on the net could use advice from someone of your ability and knowledge base.

The joke is funny, but follow it up with some advice as well...

Sorry but I was hoping for some fannypack advice..O.K..:uzi:

mishka

INHO $200 for boots possible only if you know exactly what you need.

did you measure your foot in forefoot? if it narrow(A or B) @ or below 100 mm will be difficult to find narrow beginners boots. I don't think beginners boots available for example in 98 mm in forefoot. Also depends how quickly you progress and how many days you plan to have on the slopes it possible you can outgrow your entry level boots VERY quickly I replaced my beginner boots after seven days on the snow (1 week for me at the time .....it could be entire season for someone else)

go to as many shops as you can, if you have time, try on what they got, ask the questions, listen what they suggest ...soon enough you will have good idea for the boots

skis same story beginners skis forgiven but will not lets you progress pass certain point at the same time advanced skis unforgiven will put you down immediately if you doing something wrong, have much higher level of limitations, help progress faster at least for me when I went from 150 cm to 175 cm Volkl Supersort 5 stars.

good luck