• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

For the Beater crowd....

Greg

Staff member
For the [thread="41479"]beater[/thread] crowd. Have you ever destroyed a pair of skis skiing a trail with thin cover? I'm not talking about premature wear, but have you caused an irreparable core shot, or ripped out an edge?

I haven't done any damage worse than some deep gouges and a few shots barely reaching the wood. Get 'em P-texed and and the edges resharpened and all is fine.

You?

campgottagopee

Yup, but only once while skiing Liftline @Smuggs---railed into a rather unmovable rock cluster which in turn blew my sidewall (darn near 8 inches long), edge and anything near it right out of my ski. I filled it with epoxy and made it my up hill ski---not a real big deal only because it was near the end of the season.

rachelv

Website
www.mountainreviews.com
Oh yeah, I destroyed a ski skiing trees at Bretton Woods the weekend after the Feb 14th storm 2 years ago. There was practically no base before that storm, so there was a lot of crap hiding right under the snow. I hooked my tip under a branch or something, double ejected, and cracked the front of my ski straight through.

Here's a crappy picture:
398152568_77e61e021e.jpg

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
About fifteen years ago on Black Mountain (from Loon), we thought there was enough base. I managed to hit a rock and tore the edge about half way down the ski. It turned into a nice hike down

reefer

Shattered a binding on a small stump hidden under a couple inches of fluff. Was in the woods at Mt. Snow, I think the Trials. Not a lot of cover at that point..............................did a Superman!
Basically got down on one ski to the North Face then downloaded off the summit.
I beleive anything is made to be used and beat on hard................. always try to have a spare set of skis with me just in case.

crank

I cut through the woods to ski a closed Stein's Run at Sugarbush and bent one of my Dynastar Ohmeglass skis in a rocky trough between a couple of rock hard ice moguls.

jack97

I haven't ripped out an edge yet. Worse thing was a core shot about 4-6 inches long that also took out material at the edge and deformed it just a little.... hardly noticable.

cbcbd

The worse so far was a deep core shot right next to the edge... got it while digging in too much at the steepish and bony corner of K-27 and East Side Drive at Hunter

other than that just some gouges and one other core shot

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
I've ripped out edges, cored through many layers, delaminated tips, and blown caps off of skis . . .

I was going to say that was all in the distant past, but I crushed a binding and lost a plastic tip top last year . . .

bobbutts

exploded my volkl p9 slc's in 1995 or so landing a jump on a rock that was hidden just below new snow
no pix or details, it was long ago, I do know that the affected ski was ruined

I've had delamination issues with my old Pre m5s and my K2 El Caminos..my K2 Kreitlers were skied so hard that in addition to a duct-taped repaired delamination..the sidewall was ripped off so bady..that the amount of drag created made me retire them. My first pair of Elan S12s got bent and the front foot of one of the skis was a foot of the snow..it happened after a crash and the ski started peeling..I got replacements for free but they had to order them from Slovenia which took months..The oldest skis that I have that are still ski-able are my Rossi Vipers..one of the edges are a little cracked but whatever..

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've ripped out edges, cored through many layers, delaminated tips, and blown caps off of skis . . .

pretty much the same here, only one ripped edge though that wasn't too bad and was able to be hammered back in and last the rest of the season.

Out of all damage, delaminated tips has been the most common problem, but those were all on Salomon Force 9 3S's back in high school. I blew through 4 pairs of them my sophomore and junior years. Salomon was quite good about it though as they had a 2 year warranty, so (my folks) bought one pair and I ended up getting four out of the deal. SICK bump ski for the first 15-20 days, but the foam cores broke down very quickly and they were garbage after that.

wa-loaf

I had some bent K2 Extremes and ripped the buckles off of a boot. A few coreshots but no fatal wounds.

MarkC

I has happened a few times. I came up a bit short on a rock drop two seasons ago and snapped a core from edge to edge. I have bent a few edges on rocks getting a bit ambitious in the early and late season but for the most part the damage that I encounter can be fixed with the ptex gun.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I completely trashed my P50s six ways to Sunday. Ripped out edge parts, at least a dozen core shots of various shapes and sizes, and a delammed tip (which is what ultimately "ruined" the ski beyond acceptable). My various 8000s have all taken core shots but holes are easy to plug. You haven't lived until you rip out part of your edge!

i broke a dynamic vr27 geant skiing bumps on them...they had dozens of base repairs on them too...not enough base material left to ptex so I had to epoxy all of them...I was living in tahoe...squaw has nasty rocks.
some compressed sidewalls along the way and a few base welds over the years...lately its been binding parts blowing out...a couple of heels and a toe piece over the last 3 or 4 years...salomon toe, marker heel, tyrolia heel.

For the [thread="41479"]beater[/thread] crowd. Have you ever destroyed a pair of skis skiing a trail with thin cover? I'm not talking about premature wear, but have you caused an irreparable core shot, or ripped out an edge?

I haven't done any damage worse than some deep gouges and a few shots barely reaching the wood. Get 'em P-texed and and the edges resharpened and all is fine.

You?
HaHa back when Killington was run by real skiers and not corporate jerks with a cork stuck in their butt hole.
there were a few times when early season skiing on Cascade would claim a pair of rock skis.
At the end of the day I would pull out the posi-drive and remove the binders and just leave the skis right the in the parking lot.

ccskier

Two brand new pairs in one season, about 3 years ago. Had a pair of atomic m8, lasted a few months, blew out the sidewall, tried to staple, blew the edge, retired them. Pair of atomic m9's, second day, tore out the edge, blew out wall etc... Had repaired, next day on slopes, $120 repair ruined, skis junk. If anyone needs 1 ski brand new let me know. Now have a pair of atomic snoop daddy's, can't kill em, love them. Better suited for my skiing and terrain.