• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

For the Beater crowd....

ski220

For the [thread="41479"]beater[/thread] but have you caused an irreparable core shot, or ripped out an edge?

Nothing is irreparable. Spare edges, that's what old skis are for.

I cut through the woods to ski a closed Stein's Run at Sugarbush and bent one of my Dynastar Ohmeglass skis in a rocky trough between a couple of rock hard ice moguls.

How could you bend an Omniglas? Those skis were like 100% fiberglass with air channel core. Right? I've seen some big dudes on too short a ski blow out an edge on a trail with ample coverage though.

I blew out an edge skiing Julio's at Kzone 10 - 12 years ago. Smacked a tree. Hyper extended my knee and bruised my ribs and shoulder. Fixed the ski using an old screw in type edge segement from an old ski in the basement. Skied on it for awhile before the rest of the edge peeled off in Toilet Bowl one day.

Last edited:

drjeff

Multiple blown out edges, core shots, delaminations, etc over the last 30 ski seasons. Only twice though would I classify the ski injury as severe enough that it couldn't find a subsequent life as a rock ski ;)

tjf67

I used to blow out edges every year when I was using skiis with a foam core. With wood never.

Geoff

How could you bend an Omniglas? Those skis were like 100% fiberglass with air channel core. Right?

I exploded an Omeglass back around 1981. The sidewall failed under the binding skiing ice bumps. Dynastar refused to honor the warranty. I haven't bought a pair since.

tjf67

Nothing is irreparable. Spare edges, that's what old skis are for

You can't cant repair a blown out edge. If you can then its really not a blown out edge

bigbog

No fatalities so far, a small coreshot once...late 90s. This is probably the last year for my Vertigo G3s...could see outline of the whole edge foundation under the thin base layer last season...but came thru fine...hoping for one more season...
deadheadskier...so right about that Force 9 3S...really nice bump ski...rented it more than several times...during heavy NE powder, ~14" dump at SR...it helped me keep upperbody(with hips;-)) squared downhill...tryin' to do that heavy 14" with the 3S! Afterwards, One beer @Matterhorn and was about to hit the floor... :lol: Must have ordered a couple coffees and regained consciousness, over ~30min, in parking lot before driving back to lodge..

SteveD

Last edited:

hrstrat57

Ripped an edge off a Rossignol 4SK in early 90's....somewhere steep at Kmart with skimpy cover....can't remember exactly where....it came with a pretty impressive tumble as I recall....

Rossi sent me a replacement demo ski for $15, even matched it to approx no of days I described so the new "pair" ski'd perfect.....I was gettin' "em on proform in those days so I had a few years where I bought 2 pair. Had a couple of +100 days on the snow years back then and I wore 4SK's out. Still have 1 mint pair of 200's in the basement with Sal 957 equipe binding...didn't ski "em last year but I had em out the year before a day.

Partially ripped an edge off a Volkl P50 Platinum....my LSS tech straightened it out and welded it.....I ski'd in as an uphill edge for another year, no problems....still have em sans bindings in the cellar somewhere...if I need a good pair of rock skis they are ready to go.

Had a few core shots too...

They're just tools....no big deal.