• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

For those who want to try Burke...

thetrailboss

Staff member
I just sent you a PM, KingM. Burke was in last month's edition of Vermont Life.

Thanks for your comments, BobR. It is my home and they are really trying to make a go of it since Burke Mountain Academy bought the place. They are very community oriented, so if I help them, I'm helping my hometown. :wink:

Vortex

I'm just glad you are so excited about the mountain, and do something about it. Another positive thing from AZ.
Your statements will bring me there as I have stated before. Steve C (not giving his last name cause he may not want me to) was my ski coach and he came out of the Burke Acedemy teaching program many years ago. He had as many nice things to say about it as you do.

B

beswift

Be careful, you might attract too many people and ruin a good thing.

thetrailboss

Staff member
beswift said:
Be careful, you might attract too many people and ruin a good thing.

Yes, it is a delicate balance but given the choice between having no mountain and putting up with a few more people, I'll choose the latter.

B

beswift

thetrailboss said:
Yes, it is a delicate balance but given the choice between having no mountain and putting up with a few more people, I'll choose the latter.
It's seriously doubtful that you'll have >>no mountain<<. With a college so close-by, your worse case scenario would be that the State of Vt. would take over.

thetrailboss

Staff member
beswift said:
thetrailboss said:
It's seriously doubtful that you'll have >>no mountain<<. With a college so close-by, your worse case scenario would be that the State of Vt. would take over.

Knowing Vermont politics personally, I know that:

a. Lyndon State, and all of the Vermont Colleges, is small and quite underfunded. It caters to many who are not skiers (because they can't afford to do so).

And because of not much funding available and political forces being what they are,

b. The State would not take over operations of the mountain.

The ski interests in the state would simply not allow it. And as for the mountain not being around,

c. If they keep losing lots of money, they WILL close. That regrettably is the way business works. :cry:

Now, let's get back to the topic at hand...Burke is offering a good deal, so give it a try if you want :wink:

thetrailboss

Staff member
KingM said:
One longshot possibility is having the skiers take over the mountain. That's what Mad River Glen did, and it's been remarkably successful.

BMA has engaged the community, which is unlike the previous regimes. Through "Friends of Burke," community members promote the mountain and raise money so that children in the area can ski/ride at a reasonable cost. A very good thing to see in this day and age! :D