• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Foreward flex

ed-drum

My new Full Tilt boots are the best boots I've ever owned. I noticed the difference the first day. I control the boot, the boot doesn't control me. Lightest boots on the market too! Ed

Greg

Staff member
Yup... however another consideration for a mogul whore like me is absorption range. The heel lift does increase ramp angle and that's a big plus for using all of the legs to absorb on the front side of the bump. The basic restriction is equivalent to squatting while flat footed, kind of hard to do for most people. Increasing the ramp angle allows one to squat further down while maintaining balance. Ron Lemaster outlines this consideration in his book, to judge whether your boots have good forward lean and ramp angle he suggest wearing them and squat down as low as you can go without losing balance. His criteria for good enuf is upper legs parallel to the floor without losing balance. Personally, I'm happy with going lower into a full squat. How this relates to the bumps is if the boot doesn't have the forward lean; hinging (meaning collapsing the back forward) during the absorption is usually the result along with hunching over the back to get that cm over the front when making the turns. Having said this, it doesn't mean all is to be blame on the equipment, some could be blame on the driver's side.

Interesting. Can you get a heel lift anywhere, or does it have to be through a shop? I assume it goes under the footbed, not the liner, corect?

wa-loaf

Interesting. Can you get a heel lift anywhere, or does it have to be through a shop? I assume it goes under the footbed, not the liner, corect?

You can pick one up online. Try Tognar. Usually glued to the inside base of the boot under the liner.

jack97

You can pick one up online. Try Tognar. Usually glued to the inside base of the boot under the liner.

I duct tape mine inside the shell under the liner. Tognar has them;

http://tognar.com/boot_heater_warmer_fitting_dryer_canting_dryers_ski_snowboard.html#SPK-HLS

BTW, I heard of using old liner material, cutting it out to form the heel lift.

JimG.

Staff member

Greg,

Heel lifts are usually fitted for folks with short or extremely inflexible/stretchable heel cords, also called Achilles tendons.

Do you have trouble flexing your ankles without ski boots on?

Get thee to thy bootfitter if you think you have that issue.

Otherwise, try a softer shell or cut the cuffs on your current boots.

My new Full Tilt boots are the best boots I've ever owned. I noticed the difference the first day. I control the boot, the boot doesn't control me. Lightest boots on the market too! Ed

I think those are the boots I want to buy in the fall..as long as they fit well..

Greg

Staff member
Greg,

Heel lifts are usually fitted for folks with short or extremely inflexible/stretchable heel cords, also called Achilles tendons.

Do you have trouble flexing your ankles without ski boots on?

Get thee to thy bootfitter if you think you have that issue.

Otherwise, try a softer shell or cut the cuffs on your current boots.
I know I have that issue. Jeff Bokum asked me to sit and put my feet flat on the floor, and the raise my toes up as far as possible while keeping my heels on the floor. I recall he wasn't impressed with my range of motion. I remember that he's not big on heel lifts. Something about how it can actually put you in the back seat.

ed-drum

Steeze, I have a wide foot with a high instep. The Full Tilts were the first boot that I didn't have to get modified or blown out. (stretched) They fit right out of the box. And I was told they are a narrow boot.(?) The liners are great and WARM! You can also change the tongues to modify stiffness. The buckles are a ratchet design that are super easy to adjust. My friends noticed the difference because I went through the bumps effortlessly. (twice as fast, in control and I still stink in bumps) I have the Kamo model. Everybody says they look cool too. Ed.

jack97

I remember that he's not big on heel lifts. Something about how it can actually put you in the back seat.

The standing belief is, getting into the backseat is a compensation of the cm brought forward due to the heel lifts. The opinion is when the cm is more toward the front rather than over center of the skis, skiers tend to stick the butt out and crouch to prevent the feeling of doing a “handle bar”. It’s the result of aggressively biting into the snow with the tip. By sticking that butt out, the cm is placed over center, thus that aggressive tip bite is gone.

I think several factors come into play; the ramp angle and foward lean of the boot, the shapes of the ski, the binding position and most importantly, the skills involve while skiing with the front of the ski. Given there isn’t any uniform standard on ramp angle and forward lean on ski boots. Furthermore, using the Cabrawler (a straight ski by today’s standard) user mileage will vary in terms of how your body will adjust when you try to get more forward lean. That’s why I say try the heel lifts (with duct tape) and see how it feels on the slope, you have buds that will catch you on tape to see if it's making you go into the backseat.

It’s not like the end of the world if you try this for a day or two. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
It’s not like the end of the world if you try this for a day or two. :rolleyes:

Not being able to flex forward aggressively because his heel cords are tight is the problem and heel lifts are the prescription for sure.

I know many skiers who took the next step forward when this problem was fixed.

jack97

Not being able to flex forward aggressively because his heel cords are tight is the problem and heel lifts are the prescription for sure.

I know many skiers who took the next step forward when this problem was fixed.

No argurements from me. Thats why doing a squat test with the boot is a good indicator; skier's body and boots come into play. With my old boots, I can barely make parralel. My new setup, I can do full a squat.