• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Genius. Patent for a device that prevents skis from crossing while skiing

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com

makimono

In the 70's some people had these big plastic rectangular towers glued to the shovels of their skis, I guess to prevent crossing tips, either that or they were for aerodynamic effect.

The Ski Tote was pretty damn awesome in it's glory day, until you forgot the combination.

And the boot tree.

And before ski brakes inadvertently revolutionized the schlepping of skis across parking lots, we had these little rubber band gizmos with a metal hook on one end and a metal loop on the other. One for the tip one for the tail. You'd hook an edge, stretch the band around both skis and hook the loop back on itself. Long before velcro existed.

snowmonster

Please see SKI Magazine, October 2011 (75th Anniversary Issue), page 100 re: Parablacks.

The patent was issued in 1976. This technology has been around (and gone) for 35 years. What's so genius about this? If anything, it enables poor technique.

And, if you think that ski carry system is also genius, you may want to check out www.quickpoles.com. They've got a huge ad in the Skiing magazine 2011 Gear Guide.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Please see SKI Magazine, October 2011 (75th Anniversary Issue), page 100 re: Parablacks.

The patent was issued in 1976. This technology has been around (and gone) for 35 years. What's so genius about this? If anything, it enables poor technique.

And, if you think that ski carry system is also genius, you may want to check out www.quickpoles.com. They've got a huge ad in the Skiing magazine 2011 Gear Guide.

I was being sarcastic....

ALLSKIING

Staff member

I was being sarcastic....
Hence the :smash:

skidmarks

Parablacks a Game Changer!

I have some still in the box!

Oct2011_036_.JPG

makimono

I have some still in the box!

Oct2011_036_.JPG

That's amazing..are you a collector or something? How do you even have those? :lol:

My dad once taught me the cosmopolitan way to carry skis in the swinging sixties, you loop the straps of one pole over the tips of your skis and loop the strap of the other pole over the tails and then tuck the pole tips into the opposite strap and use the poles like a handle. Kind of a pain in the ass but I guess it impressed the ladies.

bvibert

Staff member
That's amazing..are you a collector or something? How do you even have those? :lol:

My dad once taught me the cosmopolitan way to carry skis in the swinging sixties, you loop the straps of one pole over the tips of your skis and loop the strap of the other pole over the tails and then tuck the pole tips into the opposite strap and use the poles like a handle. Kind of a pain in the ass but I guess it impressed the ladies.

I see people still using that technique from time to time.

skidmarks

It's a very long story why I have them still in a box.