• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

going to lunch

SKIQUATTRO

my biz partner and i are getting ready to go meet a client for lucnh...

him "you have all wheel drive, right?"
me "yes, why"
him "it snowed last night"
me "you're kidding me...."
him "no"
me "it snowed less than an inch, its now sunny and 35 degrees....."
him "the side roads could be bad"
me "............(cant find words)............"

i almost fell outta my chair...

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I know, last night I get home and the neighbors and the wife are talking about whether school will be delayed in the morning. I'm like WTF, when I was a kid I used to walk to the bus stop in stuff way deeper than this..what is it these days! The world has become .....soft as a friend used to say!

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I know, last night I get home and the neighbors and the wife are talking about whether school will be delayed in the morning. I'm like WTF, when I was a kid I used to walk to the bus stop in stuff way deeper than this..what is it these days! The world has become .....soft as a friend used to say!
Schools actually were delayed 90 minutes here...for a dusting. :roll: Yes, the world has become soft.

hammer

We had just the opposite a few weeks ago when we had 6-8 inches of slush...kids still went to school but the buses had a real tough time getting in. Superintendent got some grief over that one...

wa-loaf

We had just the opposite a few weeks ago when we had 6-8 inches of slush...kids still went to school but the buses had a real tough time getting in. Superintendent got some grief over that one...

My old superintendent had a Jeep. If he could get out of his driveway school was on. Generally took a foot or more to cancel.

hammer

My old superintendent had a Jeep. If he could get out of his driveway school was on. Generally took a foot or more to cancel.
Problem is that our superintendent lives out of town and he couldn't make it in. My kids also reported that some teachers didn't make it in either.

Rule that I have is that if the superintendent says that school is on then he needs to make it into the office.

The kiddos might not like it, but I'd rather they not have snow days. The school calendar this year already has them going past the 15th of June.

ZYDECORICH

we have a really strange situation down here. west milford township is the largest in nj, roughly 80 square miles. one area which we call up the mountain, which is basically the top ridge of bearfort mountain is about 5 square miles maybe less. if they get snow or ice up there the whole school system has to close because they don't want the buses going up there and sliding back down the mountain. its kinda cool as far as the weather, it can be 2 inches of snow at the base where i am, and 8 inches a 1/2 mile up the road.

playoutside

we have a really strange situation down here. west milford township is the largest in nj, roughly 80 square miles. one area which we call up the mountain, which is basically the top ridge of bearfort mountain is about 5 square miles maybe less. if they get snow or ice up there the whole school system has to close because they don't want the buses going up there and sliding back down the mountain. its kinda cool as far as the weather, it can be 2 inches of snow at the base where i am, and 8 inches a 1/2 mile up the road.

I grew up not far from you (different school system) and we were the high point for the township. Often we had snow and no other part of the township would have snow or much in the way of weather. We were farthest from the schools and they would send the buses out early only to discover that we had plenty of snow and buses couldn't get up the mountain to get us. Our village on top of the mountain had a lot of kids so about 50 of us were at one stop. We had a rule that we would stay at the bus stop until 1 hr after school should have started and then we would run like hell to get home (just in case a bus appeared). Then we could stay home from school and sled or go skiing. Lucky for us the ski area was nearby (it was an upside down one with lodge and parking at the top) -- our parents happily drove us there, but not down the mountain to school!

bigbog

"The World..ie "Communications World!" is imho..now more centered away from the NE...thus it is humorous to listen to southerners talk about the oncoming blizzard being 12" of snow..but then their insulation standards aren't up to the NE's...and I suspect there's a good number of people that don't have the $$$ to purchase the breatheables, fleece, and wicking layers that we're accustomed to.. Do as well wonder where the stats to the winters of decades gone by(60s, 70s, early 80s) went to...cuz some of the numbers they talk about being records..are pretty wacko imho.

Last edited:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Schools actually were delayed 90 minutes here...for a dusting. :roll: Yes, the world has become soft.
I think jaybigred said it best, US society has become extremely risk-adverse.
I'm ready to move to another country. Too bad nobody else is :???:
That just means I'll travel more, so I can do more "foolish" things.
Think I'll go hit my head again 8)

BTW, our Tuesday flight out of Atlanta was delayed for 45 minutes because the temps were below freezing and the baggage handlers were struggling.:roll:

skijay

If I do not want to drive - I take the Scion xA. One look at that with four people is all it takes to get out of driving.