• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Good ski school?

badskier

I'm probably a low intermediate skier (I can happily do blues, and can get down blacks with some amount of discomfort in terms of confidence and nerves and lack of general ability), and would like to improve my technique. Apart from just going out and skiing, I suspect that some lessons with a good instructor would help.

Now comes the biggie question: what ski school (and perhaps instructor) in New England would you recommend?

tekweezle

i would recommend going to sugarloaf maine for a weeklong trip if you can swing it. i think lessons are included in whatever lift and lodge package you get.

i recommend going weekday because usually the classes are small but by the end of the week if you stick with it, you will find yourself the only one in the class and get private lessons. by going several days straight, you get to work on your technique uninterupted.

I did it 4 years in a row and it help my skiing tremendously. The instructors I had there were awesome.

goodluck!

BeanoNYC

Hey badskiier! Welcome to Alpinezone. Where in NE are you looking for lessons? I had some privates with a guy named "Doc" Wallace at Mount Snow last year. I learned a ton from him. You may want to call the mountain and see if he's still there if MS is a convenient mountain for you. :beer:

NYDrew

Meeee!!!!!!!! Ill be located at Smugglers Notch from 3/11 to the next monday. Otherwise I am availible at my home resort Labrador (smaller place in CNY).

I am availible for private lessons at both mountains upon request.

(I am actually going to be employed at Smuggs, so you can just go through their ski school, and of course lab's school)

MikeTrainor

When I was a low intermediate I took a few lessons at Bretton Woods and it really helped me out. I don't care much for the mountain now, but for a low intermediate the Mtn. is great, I really consider it one of the best learning Mtn's

tekweezle

The instructors I had in Sugarloaf were Bill and Caroline.

I don;think you could go wrong at any ASC resort. they do a good job of getting you comfortable on the slopes. Any lessons is better than no lesson.

badskier

Thanks for all the replies - I'm located in southern NH, and was looking for something within about 1 1/2 hours drive to enable a day trip. I've had 1 lesson in the past and that wound up being completely useless - I found that I didn't learn anything from the instructor at all (private lesson), hence the email. I'd rather go to someone that has been recommended than go to Joe Random instructor. Off to Waterville later this evening for some fun tomorrow.

tekweezle

you might want to consider taking lessons at a level higher than you already are-it sounds like you are a level 3-4 skier so take a level 5-6 class or higher. take the class level for where you want to be, not where you are already or you will find yourself doing the same things.

usually, the instructors can tailor their teaching toward you provided you aren't in over your head. if you stay with the same class for the course of a week, you will probably improve noticeably.

I had a friend who was a solid intermediate take a class at a resort. not wanting to overstate her abilities, she ended up taking a class that just went over the same things she already knew so it was a waste of money.

NYDrew

Wow,, your spoiled up in NH. When I was growing up on Long Island, anything under 5 hours was considered a day trip.

Specifically, what are you working on? This way people can compare what the instructor helped thm with to what you need. Ask the question more like, what instructor helped you with ____________ (ie. pole plants, speed control, turn shapes, steeps, bumps, etc.)

badskier

NYDrew said:
Wow,, your spoiled up in NH. When I was growing up on Long Island, anything under 5 hours was considered a day trip.
Hahaha - yeah, I'm located nicely for skiing - just over 2 hours to Killington.

NYDrew said:
Specifically, what are you working on? This way people can compare what the instructor helped thm with to what you need. Ask the question more like, what instructor helped you with ____________ (ie. pole plants, speed control, turn shapes, steeps, bumps, etc.)

I wish I could be more specific - I think I'd like someone to take a look at the way I ski and tell me what I'm doing wrong and generally suggest improvements. I find that I'm comfortable going down blues at pretty much all the mountains I've been at (Loon, Waterville, Killington, Bretton Woods, Pats Peak, Crotched, Sunapee). The blacks are a more mixed bag - definitely more challenging at Killington. I can do parallel turns, and I believe that what I'm doing is carving (I'm really not well versed in all the terminology, sorry :) ) - the tracks I leave seem to be relatively clean. However, I don't know if I'm doing anything with the correct technique - I've had a grand total of 2 lessons: 1 very beginner lesson several years ago, and the one I mentioned earlier. On reflection, I may have undersold myself to the instructor because of my lack of knowledge of skiing terms.

From your list, I'd definitely like to feel more confident going down steep runs - I have to fight the tendency to lean back on those runs because I get nervous. Turn shapes would also be good, and I'd love to learn how to ski bumps - I've gone through some natural moguls at Killington, and while I "survived" them, it was pretty ugly :).

thetrailboss

Staff member
If you want good, personal instruction, Burke is a good option. Rarely a crowd and the ski school is good. One usually gets a private lesson for the price of a group one!

thetrailboss

Staff member
For personal service, Burke is a good option. Not a crowd, and the school is very good. One usually gets a private lesson for the price of a group lesson. Ms. Trailboss was instructed at Burke and she loved it. We also had good luck during the week we were at Sunday River.

tekweezle

>>I don't know if I'm doing anything with the correct technique

you sound like a better skier than you give yourself credit for. as you progress in your skiing, i think it becomes less about technique and more about knowing when to apply them. your skills are probably fine already for most groomed runs and not so steep blacks. However, to do steeper blacks efficiently and move up to moguls and powder, there are other techniques you can pickup. that;s the thing i like about skiing, there are different techniques for the ever changing conditions.