• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Granite Gorge Likely to Join NELSAP

thetrailboss

Staff member
According to LiftBlog, and the Keene Sentinel, Granite Gorge's remaining owner says that he will not reopen. He is looking for someone to lease the tubing operation, and apparently had a lead, but it did not pan out.

Did anyone ski there? They ran into some issues regarding finances, their lift failing, and their summer camp not being properly managed. It's too bad to see an area go NELSAP.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Tough location. Looked cool. Similar to Whaleback with some legit pitch. I drove by it so many times on the road for work and always said I needed to hit it. Sad I never did.

It's too bad Fred passed away. He was so passionate about the place. Easily my favorite AZ Challenge response ever.

eatskisleep

Tough location. Looked cool. Similar to Whaleback with some legit pitch. I drove by it so many times on the road for work and always said I needed to hit it. Sad I never did.

It's too bad Fred passed away. He was so passionate about the place. Easily my favorite AZ Challenge response ever.
Would love to see the AZ challenge return in some form!

urungus

Drove by yesterday and looks abandoned. Looks like a cool little place, sad I never got to ski it.

23AC1CC7-AA49-4A0F-8472-23D534050E00.jpeg

5EAF4F7E-BE3B-4FF6-8A61-09FA35358AA8.jpeg

38796FEC-3F48-4B6C-B61F-117BF578C758.jpeg

7E4D4A2E-F21F-4AF2-9E89-5F0D725785E6.jpeg

2Planker

elks

My kids learned to ski there. Fun little mountain with some nice pitch and so convenient with little ones. You could drive across the bridge on most days and park right next to the lodge. Priceless with 3-5 year olds! Parents skied free (or close to it if memory serves) one hour before and after the lesson too if I recall correctly.

2Planker

My kids learned to ski there. Fun little mountain with some nice pitch and so convenient with little ones. You could drive across the bridge on most days and park right next to the lodge. Priceless with 3-5 year olds! Parents skied free (or close to it if memory serves) one hour before and after the lesson too if I recall correctly.
Best $5 Burger anywhere !!!!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sold at auction for $430k with the owners intent on reopening

Newpylong

posted this to snowjournal too:

One of my good friends (the last GM and Snow Sports Director at GG before they closed the downhill side) says the mountain is in really good hands with the ownership group. That is great news.

Certainly a good market down there for a local offering after what's gone on with Crotched w/Vail. The tubing side was a real money maker too.

2Planker

thetrailboss

Staff member

Smellytele

It’s still GG. They need all new snow making as didn’t they sell it off. Really only 1 lift and and a couple of carpets. Although can’t fit more than 50 cars in the parking lot so crowding shouldn’t be an issue.

skimagic

The chairlift passed it's load safety test, but they burned a clutch. They are now trying to find a part and get it installed for holiday week. I hope they made enough snow to carry them through the week.