• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gulf of Slides, 4/14/06

JimG.

Staff member
dmc said:
So you met Joel(P8's)?

He's a trip and a half...

Quite a character! Nice guy too, he took a great pic of the 3 of us in the central gully.

awf170

I got a question: How was the coverage in the gully? It looked really good from the pics but maybe I'm missing something.
This is qoute from Phish over at T4T:
"The GOS was going quickly Friday. Only one gully looked doable from the top. It had a rocks showing 1/2 way down right in the middle. I would hit left gully or chute in the bowl. Good luck & report back!"

Just curious but do you guys agree?

JimG.

Staff member
awf170 said:
I got a question: How was the coverage in the gully? It looked really good from the pics but maybe I'm missing something.
This is qoute from Phish over at T4T:
"The GOS was going quickly Friday. Only one gully looked doable from the top. It had a rocks showing 1/2 way down right in the middle. I would hit left gully or chute in the bowl. Good luck & report back!"

I think his opinion is pretty sound.

Coverage was good on Friday, but there were spots on the boot pack where you would punch through to bare ground. As you can see from P8's photos, there are a few developing crevasses too.

The GoS ski trail is basically gone; the snow in the gullies was very mushy on Friday and the warm temps won't help much. The main gully was covered well T2B, other options would have required some bushwacking. My guess is that things will be very sketchy up there after this coming weekend.

awf170

JimG. said:
I think his opinion is pretty sound.

Coverage was good on Friday, but there were spots on the boot pack where you would punch through to bare ground. As you can see from P8's photos, there are a few developing crevasses too.

The GoS ski trail is basically gone; the snow in the gullies was very mushy on Friday and the warm temps won't help much. The main gully was covered well T2B, other options would have required some bushwacking. My guess is that things will be very sketchy up there after this coming weekend.

Hmmmmmmmm.................

Way too make the choice ever harder jimg.:roll:;-)
I still think it should be good for thursday though. Friday and saterday were warm but sunday-today are still cold and snowy.(hojos got 2.5 inches and the summit got 4.5) so I dont think it could of melted that much.:-?:-?:-?

JimG.

Staff member
awf170 said:
Hmmmmmmmm.................

Way too make the choice ever harder jimg.:roll:;-)
I still think it should be good for thursday though. Friday and saterday were warm but sunday-today are still cold and snowy.(hojos got 2.5 inches and the summit got 4.5) so I dont think it could of melted that much.:-?:-?:-?

Hmmmm....to ski or not to ski, that is the question.

Sorry Austin, not a tough choice if I were in your shoes.

My season is done, so I'm not watching the weather up there anymore. At this point, cold is good, so go for it.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com

i definitely do not agree. only one gully top to bottom? not on friday when i was there! though a pretty big bulge was showing on the gully lookers right of main gully, that is probably shot by now, but who knows? main gully really branches out quite a bit, even if some holes opened up, there is more than enough wiggle room. i suspect you could still get 800 vertical feet out of main gully at least this week. i am considering it for the weekend, it should be a freaking mess down at PNVC and i don't even want to think about how crowded the bowl and TRT will be :eek:

awf170

riverc0il said:
i definitely do not agree. only one gully top to bottom? not on friday when i was there! though a pretty big bulge was showing on the gully lookers right of main gully, that is probably shot by now, but who knows? main gully really branches out quite a bit, even if some holes opened up, there is more than enough wiggle room. i suspect you could still get 800 vertical feet out of main gully at least this week. i am considering it for the weekend, it should be a freaking mess down at PNVC and i don't even want to think about how crowded the bowl and TRT will be :eek:

Thanks, GoS it is. What do you think the best approach to skiing the other gullies is? To hike up the main gully, then just cut across at the top, then once you reach the bottom hike back out to get back into the main gully?

awf170

riverc0il said:
Beats me. I have only skied GoS once up the main gully and I have no idea what the other approaches look like now.
Oh, alright. Thanks anyways. I think I'll try the top entry idea. Hmmm 3 gullies, one run for each gully. Sounds like a good idea to me:smile:(Also, a very very painful idea)