• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Haystack / Hermitage news

Pez

I have two super 8 reels of footage from the timber ridge side that were shot in maybe 88 or 89. I transferred them to VHS back then. I’ve lost 1 of the reels and the VHS is MIA.

Hopefully spring cleaning will help turn them up.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Glenn

Loved that places in the 80's
Got my 77 Celica pushed out of a ditch there by Paul Newman & Bob Sharp.
Nice guys out walkin their dogs....

The place was actually on some Cabin Builders type show when they rebuilt the shack up top 5-10 years ago

That's cool! Auto racing legends...

skithetrees

The place was actually on some Cabin Builders type show when they rebuilt the shack up top 5-10 years ago

Yes, that is the owner. His son was a professional snowboarder and trained at timber side. They actually hosted some events there a while ago. He also owns Dostals at Magic and is pretty involved in the area.

drjeff

My local Mount Snow ski shop owner just posted on his FB page that the group that won the bidding process was the group made of of Hermitage Club members.

Haven't seen the official announcement yet to verify this, however he's not the type of person who would post something like this unless he was sure of it.....

cdskier

icecoast1

I guess with Jim Barnes out of the picture, it *could* be different..... Only time will tell

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

Earlier articles mentioned them wanting to operate it in a different way, mainly just the ski area vs owning half the town like Barnes. But as you said we will see

mikec142

interesting... seems like more of the same as it ever was

Yep. As much as I would like any ski are to survive, this won't end well.

I had a friend who worked there a few years back so we got to ski there over Christmas one year. Stayed at one of the Inn's and had dinner at another one of the Inn's. Rooms were nice, food was good. Ski facilities were gorgeous. Ski terrain was fine. The harder section wasn't open yet.

But here's the thing...I just don't see how anyone can make the economics work. They don't need the Inn's so I'd sell them for whatever I could get right away. I'm not sure where the airport falls in this mix, but sell that thing too. Even though the idea of the golf course is a good one, it's just expensive to maintain (at least make it public). Bottom line, I can't see how this works, even if members are willing to pay double or triple dues.

Method9455

Anything is better than NELSAP. I think it's possible to run it successfully as a private club if they're very careful about expenses.

jaytrem

Well they certainly got a lot of stuff for 8 million. Big head start compared to what Barnes had to build up. Hope they can make a go of it.

tumbler

The timing of this probably could not be worse for them as their portfolio's have shrank with the market nosedive.

WWF-VT

Who really gives a shit about a ski area that failed multiple times and thought that being a private mountain with a ridiculous and unsustainable business model was the future? Stick a fork in it - it's done. If the former members have enough money to spend $8M to buy this place then they deserve to lose it all on the next bankruptcy.

Last edited: