• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Heat Wave...

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I HATE humidity. I'm not a summer person. That's the nice thing about when I was running early morning (as much as I am NOT a morning person and hate rising at 5AM)... it's so cool that I've seen my breath while running. :D But most of the day lately, I've been staying in A/C. I technically have asthma so I'm supposed to be careful on bad air quality days anyway.

Warp Daddy

yeah humidity sux

we have had it here in the 1000 Island region for longer than usual too but its differant our temps are mid 70's with about 70-75 % humidity and there always a breeze off the river -- altho it now a 'warm " breeze . My son arrived from Manhattan and though t it was COOL here . He didn't use the AC last nite -- ???????

Greg

Staff member
It's mid-July, folks. This seems pretty typical as far as I can tell.

Midday Saturday, I spent close to 3 hours cutting up a big oak tree that fell during a thunderstorm a few weeks ago. Yesterday morning, I did close to a 10 mile mountain bike ride. The sweat was pouring out of me in both cases and it actually felt great! I kept well-hydrated and didn't have a problem.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I know it's typical - doesn't mean I have to like it. :razz: I stay in New England for Fall, Winter, and Spring. Not summer. ;)

Greg

Staff member
I know it's typical - doesn't mean I have to like it. :razz: I stay in New England for Fall, Winter, and Spring. Not summer. ;)

Understood, but it puts those other seasons in perspective and lets you appreciate them more. Our house and my work have central A/C so I can escape it as needed. Sometimes after leaving work, the heat and humidity actually feel good though.

Hitting Cape Cod on Thursday for 8 days of laying on the beach. I'll be rocking the most pathetic farmer tan you ever did see. Can't wait though.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I hear ya on that. When I worked for the City, my boss and coworkers were menopausal so it was like a fridge in our office from March through November. Getting out into the heat felt really good many days. And you're right that it helps you appreciate the other seasons more.

Enjoy the Cape! I'm jealous! It's been several years since I've been. Maybe next summer....

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Understood, but it puts those other seasons in perspective and lets you appreciate them more. Our house and my work have central A/C so I can escape it as needed. Sometimes after leaving work, the heat and humidity actually feel good though.

Hitting Cape Cod on Thursday for 8 days of laying on the beach. I'll be rocking the most pathetic farmer tan you ever did see. Can't wait though.
Thats the difference for me....I work in the heat all day most days. By the weekend I don't want to move from the a/c.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't deal well with the heat and humidity, but it is what it is .....July in New England. As much as I can't stand it, I'll take this any day of the week over the high 40's - low 50's with rain that we see mid-April through mid- May and from mid - October through mid - November. Those are the two month periods out of the year that I really can't stand in terms of weather.

deadheadskier

Staff member

Buy a cheap body board ($40) and hit up Nauset Beach. Potential for great waves as the tropical storms from the south head north.

Surf's UP Dude!!! :lol:

I've had my AC on for two weeks straight..I wish we had cool summers like in the 60s and 70s...well only another month or two of heat and then fall which is usually pretty warm as well. I'm a warm blooded person..in the winter..I rarely wear a jacket except when I ski..and often wear sandles if there is no snow on the ground...I currently have swamp-ass...FYI

Warp Daddy

Buy a cheap body board ($40) and hit up Nauset Beach. Potential for great waves as the tropical storms from the south head north.

Surf's UP Dude!!! :lol:

Yeah that's a great fun!!!

When we're on the Cape i usually get to hit that beach several days . The year i retired we rented a beach house there for 8 weeks it was awesome .

Every September we go on the road for month( this is one of great things about retirement -- rates are WAYYYY down no reservations in restaurants or tee times for golf . We usually get to either the Cape or Maine coast every September for a week after spending 2 weeks lakeside at Bolton Landing @ Lake George------------ a beautiful spot in the Dacks

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yeah that's a great fun!!!

When we're on the Cape i usually get to hit that beach several days . The year i retired we rented a beach house there for 8 weeks it was awesome .

Every September we go on the road for month( this is one of great things about retirement -- rates are WAYYYY down no reservations in restaurants or tee times for golf . We usually get to either the Cape or Maine coast every September for a week after spending 2 weeks lakeside at Bolton Landing @ Lake George------------ a beautiful spot in the Dacks

Bolton Landing is quite nice. Do you stay at the Sagamore when you go?