• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hogback Mountain VT 1-10-2010 NELSAP

skidmarks

Great day today! Did some XC Touring to Stratton Pond 9 miles RT then Hit Hogback Mountain on the way out. A nice german dinner at the Munich Haus with a big Weiss beer made it extra special. Could have used some heavier gear at Hogback.

drjeff

Nice Hogback stoke! I was lucky enough to have skied Hogback in 1982 before it went Nelsap. Cool, old school New England terrain with some t-bars, including one that took me out :eek: :lol:

polski

Website
twitter.com
Nice TR skidmarks. I recently started researching Hogback as a possible earned-turns destination and would appreciate any further info you have on accessibility, terrain, condition of trails etc aside from what is shown in the video. I am aware of http://www.hogback.org, and the NELSAP writeup makes it sound pretty good, but for instance one question is whether the parking lots are open/plowed in the winter.

skidmarks

Parking is no problem. There is a large VAST lot on the other side of RT9. Slopes are grown in a bit but look skiable. (I'd bring DH stuff) Plenty of snow!!

mlctvt

What route did you take for the XC tour to Stratton Ponds? I'm interested in doing that some time this year as either XC or maybe even via snow shoe?
I've hiked in from Stratton Arlington Road in the summer via the Catamount trail and I thought that might be a good rooute to XC ski?

skidmarks

What route did you take for the XC tour to Stratton Ponds? I'm interested in doing that some time this year as either XC or maybe even via snow shoe?
I've hiked in from Stratton Arlington Road in the summer via the Catamount trail and I thought that might be a good rooute to XC ski?

That is the one we took, it was very nice. It's much better on skis.

Glenn

Very nice work! We drove by there a few times last week in our travels.