• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Holy Crowds Batman.....

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Catamount was super crowded today.....perhaps the most I have ever seen there. Snow was pretty good though....and at that place, its the liftlines more so than the trails that get busy. I think over the last 5-10 years, MLK weekend has become just as if not more crowded than the other "holiday" weekends.

Best part of today for me was when a ski instructor said to me "good job guy, way to go" and nodded at my 4.5 y.o. when she skied under total control right past him giving 2 people a lesson.

catskillman

Hunter was insane and Saturday & Sunday. They should have stopped selling tickets - way to overcrowded and the lift lines were insane. Not to mention they ran out of parking.

dmc

Do we ski the same mountain? :)

Sure it was crowded... But I was able to find parking both days and the Y and Z chairs were fine.. Z had a bit of a wait.. But Y was ski on...

Glad for the mountain! We depend on this weekend for $$$$

dmc

It's hard to believe that anybody could be shocked by crowds on this or Presidents day weekend..

People like to ski...

Greg

Staff member
The Sunday of MLK weekend is notoriously the most crowded day to ski anywhere. No surprises. Hope today is mellower.

dmc

The Sunday of MLK weekend is notoriously the most crowded day to ski anywhere. No surprises. Hope today is mellower.

I have a blast on holiday weekends!!!

Trails are crowded but everyone's smiling - skiing in groups - enjoying fellowship..

Lots of folks to party with - lodge is packed and hoping.. Restaurants doing a great business... People drunk and happy...

It's a good thing...

deadheadskier

Staff member

That's why I opted to 'tour' Mt. Whittier. Not that Ragged gets all that crowded compared with other areas. Truthfully, I wish Ragged did do a bit more business so they made more money to invest back in the mountain.

dmc

That's why I opted to 'tour' Mt. Whittier. Not that Ragged gets all that crowded compared with other areas. Truthfully, I wish Ragged did do a bit more business so they made more money to invest back in the mountain.

yup - sit back and watch the coffers fill with one weekend a year skiers $$$$...
It's a small price to pay for all the rest of the uncrowded weekends...

braciole

Plattekill was jammed lots were full but as usual no lift lines, on and off the lift all day with little to no wait. First weekend they were fully open typical plattekill conditions all natural snow, some manmade on a few trails, pp some exposure on natural trails here and there but if you ski plattekill you know the deal. Skiied sat and sun, cant beat 85 bucks for two days on a holiday weekend and no lift lines!

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Definitely wasn't surprised. I am very happy for the ski areas, I never really count on holiday weekends as real soulful skiing days. For me the crowds are just too much of a distraction. But it's always great to be outside and on the snow!

Greg, have you seen data to back up my original hypothesis and your confirmation about MLK being the busiest of the holidays now?

copland007

Website
www.flyingchipmunk.com
i suppose the key is to get to whatever mountain u are going to at the crack of dawn, enjoy a few hours of fresh groomers and retreat when the stampede arrives.

wawa got stupid busy by 10a both sat & sun, but their conditions were fabulous for those first few hours!

skiadikt

killington did a lot of business but the mtn didn't seem crowded.

WJenness

or you could ski Burke. All weekend we've been skiing powder and pack powder and right onto the chair. however the lower mtn quad had a line. about 3 or 4 minutes.

Agreed!

I was there yesterday, had a great time... Stayed on the upper mtn all morning... A bit of a line at Willoughby on a couple runs due to chair stopping issues, but other than that, practically ski on.

-w

Smellytele

Skied Cannon Saturday not too crowded. Almost ski on at the cannonball Quad. Peabody quad was crowded around 11 and again at 1 but no more than 5 minute wait. Zoomer triple got crowded when the wind picked up at the top in the 2:30-3:00 time frame.
Jay on Sunday had a 5 minute line at the Jet triple but not until 11:00. Flyer had no line - ski on. Tram had a line but only used it once because the kids wanted to ride it.
All and all not bad for a holiday weekend.