• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How was the skiing at your mountain yesterday?

Tyrolean_skier

I was at Killington and they had predicted much cooler temperatures and raining in the afternoon. Well that did not happen and it was warmer than predicted and I had to shed two layers at lunch because I was too hot (I had dressed for the predicted temperatures). The sky was mostly blue with a few small clouds and it never rained. I had a blast skiing OL, the Fiddle, Wildfire, Skyburst, Thimble, Vertigo, Skylark, Skyhawk, Superstar,Old Superstar, Ovation, all the Canyon runs including Royal Flush. I also had a blast skiing some tree runs including Anarchy, Julio, Low Rider and Patsys. Iceman skied those tree runs with me since everyone else I was skiing with in the morning had left the mountain thinking it was going to rain in the afternoon. Glad I stayed put and skied until 4 PM.

Puck it

Cannon was snow at the base and summit. Very hard for the top half. Only the groomers were enjoyable. Bottom half was soft and bumped up. Getting then on the front five, especially Zoomer.

legalskier

Belleayre started out with threatening black clouds on the horizon, but they disappeared quickly and it stayed sunny all day. The forecast had been for clouds with rain later in the day, which might account for the sparse crowds. The weatherman's mistake turned out to be our gift.
As I described in my TR, conditions were phenomenal.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I'll second bvibert. Simply Awesome. We had a good turnout of regulars, skied some fun runs, down empty slopes after having beer for breakfast....well some of us anyway ;)

I thought I'd be a bit sad about Blue closing yesterday, but ya know what...it was such a Simply Awesome season, I'm ok with it. I'm looking forward to sleeping in on the weekends.

4aprice

The Pocono's were great this weekend. I skied Elk Friday and Camelback Sat and Sunday. Just great bump skiing on Tunk at Elk and Asp at Camelback. Didn't get to Blue but Root's TR showed similar conditions there. Almost glad my PA seasons done because it would be hard to top the past 2 weeks. Will be stuck in my mind all summer long. I'd take this season all over again next year.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I was at Catamount this weekend and it was spectacular. Sunny and super warm both days. I'm all tan :) And for a bit was able to get out without my girls to lap a few on Catapult to offstage..bumps the entire way. At about noon yesterday, whatever clouds there were gave way to bright sun, which warmed it back up to where it was on Saturday.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Almost glad my PA seasons done because it would be hard to top the past 2 weeks. Will be stuck in my mind all summer long. I'd take this season all over again next year.

I can so relate to that. I'll be able to close my eyes while on the eliptical at the gym and I'll be able to picture myself taking a corn run down Razor's and the biggest shit eating grin will be on my face.

You picked a good weekend for Utah. Weather in the poke-n-hoes won't be as nice this weekend, but I don't even care.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Ranked as one of the worst days I've ever skied at Stowe. It did snow 3 inches throughout the day, but was completely solid underneath. No rain, which was nice.

Short of significant snow or a warm up, Stowe's not going to ski well outside of the groomers.

SKIQUATTRO

Whiteface was great Saturday, sunny warm morning, soft bumps and trees, got cooler and winder in the afternoon, still a great day...Sunday was snowy, 32 degrees, cloudy and bulletproof conditions...some runs softend up due to traffic..called it a day by 2

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Whiteface was great Saturday, sunny warm morning, soft bumps and trees, got cooler and winder in the afternoon, still a great day...Sunday was snowy, 32 degrees, cloudy and bulletproof conditions...some runs softend up due to traffic..called it a day by 2

+1 and I called it a day alot earlier then 2 on Sunday.

Did you guys get to see any of the races or racers?? What was that like?

highpeaksdrifter

Did you guys get to see any of the races or racers?? What was that like?

Yeah, I saw some super g on Sat. and a little salaom on Sunday. Needless to say the racing was at a very high level. There was alot more foot traffic to watch then I expected. I heard LP was packed and the opening ceremonies where well done. We where going to go, but beer, couch, NCAA changed are plans.

soulseller

Saturday at Bretton Woods was a top 5 day of the season day for me. My girlfriend had her second day on skis and is still talking to me so thats a good sign. I think she'll be in for a rude awakening when she sees what its like mid-january. :wink:

Talisman

I was at Killington and they had predicted much cooler temperatures and raining in the afternoon. Well that did not happen and it was warmer than predicted and I had to shed two layers at lunch because I was too hot (I had dressed for the predicted temperatures). The sky was mostly blue with a few small clouds and it never rained. I had a blast skiing OL, the Fiddle, Wildfire, Skyburst, Thimble, Vertigo, Skylark, Skyhawk, Superstar,Old Superstar, Ovation, all the Canyon runs including Royal Flush.

I was also at Killingto on 3/20 & 21. Sunday was a great bonus day especially since it sprinkled early. Strangely the runs from the summit and East Fall were quite soft early even before the sun. While Saturday was great, Sunday was better as the lifts were ski on. This past weekend was my last at Killington until next season and what a fabulous weekend, but Sugarbush is on tap for next weekend.

WakeboardMom

Loon was great on Saturday...early in day...before it turned to mashed potatoes.

Sunday was good at the top...notsomuch at the bottom. The West Basin was ungroomed yucchiness at 9 and yucchy mushy by 11. Seven Brothers and Pickaroon were good at 9-ish...top was awesome til 11. I quit at 11 because my husband's knees were killing him. If I had continued to ski, I would've skied the top only...North Peak chair and the old school East Basin chair.

I have to wonder how they're going to continue past Easter, if they can even make it until then. April 10th is the last scheduled event.

I'm so happy I got the chance to ski last Wednesday. It was awesome!

Gonna try to make it to SL for our last ski day.

4aprice

Ranked as one of the worst days I've ever skied at Stowe. It did snow 3 inches throughout the day, but was completely solid underneath. No rain, which was nice.

Short of significant snow or a warm up, Stowe's not going to ski well outside of the groomers.

Too far north. It was one of those times where the "heat" of the banana belt was beneficial. It was California skiing the last 3 days in PA. The bases got creamed but held up enough too. Huge soft bumps, tanning, T or sweatshirts (gals in halter tops), tailgating. It was the climax to a good season. One would think that further north will get those kinda days soon.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

speden

Sunday at Gunstock was very good. Some clouds in the am to keep the snow from warming up too quickly, and very few people. They didn't have a hard freeze overnight, so the snow was firm but edgeable first thing in the morning, and loosened up nicely all morning.