• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I am taking the rest of December off...

LVNLARG

SkiDog said:
LVNLARG said:
SkiDog said:
there HAS to be someone on this board who tunes skis for a living that can chime in here somewhere...this train is QUICKLY losing its wheels...

I would like a "professionals" opinion on all of the matter in this thread...this way we can dispell any myths...

Thanks..

M

Actually ...I would guess that only 10 or 20 percent of people who tune skis for a living have knowledge of Race/Pro charts and Din setting of such. The binding manufacturers keep it pretty close to chest due again to the liability issues. This is why I was sending Awf off to see the head Rep ...not the local ski shop.

I will contact my buddy in VT then he used to tune for the US Olympic team.....and what says that someone who tunes at a local shop cant also tune for Racers? that would mean they have access to that chart. then how may I ask did you "obtain" your copy.??

M

I don't have a "copy"...it's essentially the same chart but with more level jumps as explained earlier. I was on the national team development squad and sponsored by K2/Head/Tyrolia 12 years ago. As I also worked in a ski shop part time (like 40 hours a week is part time) so I took a special interest in what the equipment techs were doing to my equipment. Not many local shops tune for racers and not many racers would ever take their skis to a local shop.....as most would butcher them :eek:

ctenidae

But as I recall, the Karate Kid was still pretty lame even after the procedure.

The Karate Kid was pretty lame from the opening credits. Forget the injury.

SkiDog

Im really ust looking for like ONE other person the agree with LVN...im not dounting him really because I believe in the higher din setting myself, but I would still like a "backup" if you will to second his thoughts...

Thanks again..

M

SkiDog

ctenidae said:
But as I recall, the Karate Kid was still pretty lame even after the procedure.

The Karate Kid was pretty lame from the opening credits. Forget the injury.

Have you no taste in Fine cinema?? My god man....its one of the greeats...

HA... :)

M

WICKEDBUMPER

sorry about the break. that sucks.
you can probibly still ski. I skied about 20 days with my left arm in a cast from fingers to elbow 10 or so years ago.
just pull some jumbo socks over the whole thing and go. nothing crazy of course.
I wouldnt take just 1 dr's advice. the first dr I went to for my breaks (nothing to do with skiing) wanted to do multiple surgeries with pins, shavings, rebreaks and this whole B.S. plan and have me in a cast for 6 months. I went to another dr. and he agreed with the first guy and then said "I'd do this"...he just set it and put a different cast on it.
he said I could do whatever I wanted to...even ski. so I did.
the cast came off in 8 weeks. I had a share in a ski house that season and I didnt miss any of my share weeks.

ctenidae

For its time, Karate Kid is one of the greats, I'll grant you that. Nothing's better than "Wax on, wax off" and "Sand the floor". Probably Karate kid #'s 2-463 killed it, though.
Still, it's a rip off of Star Wars, only without the cool special effects.

LVNLARG

SkiDog said:
Im really ust looking for like ONE other person the agree with LVN...im not dounting him really because I believe in the higher din setting myself, but I would still like a "backup" if you will to second his thoughts...

Thanks again..

M

Your buddy who teched for the Olympic team would most likely know unless he was placed there by Swix for his knowledge of snow crystaline or something (I would have thought the US Olympic team would use regular ski team techs like we do but maybe they brought in extra help with specialized expertise for the Olympics). All the same...I'm sure he would know someone who does. As to why there's no one posting in here who can back me up? Likely the same reason I've had enough...weekend warriors can't grasp the knowledge. Due to the treatment I've received on this thread I'm just going to sit back and laugh my drink out my nose reading "skis slide on snow because snow is slippery threads" as it's not worth my time or energy to explain. Sad. :cry:

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
I think there has been a lot of confusion in this thread, Just because steve is an excellent skier by no means dictates pro or race status. That has been addressed, I think we can all conclude that the problem was not his setting of DIN 8 but the miss setting of 7.

LVNLARG, as for your last post, you have no inhabitions to insult the boards here, that is fairly obvious, we're all a bunch of weekend warriors. Personally, I have worked in Atomic's race stock room and seen their protocols for binding mounting and adjusting, and on a race/pro level much of things you have said are correct... However, that is not exactly the problem mentioned above. There is a difference between a strong NE Jay Peak glade skier and Bode Miller racing a 90mph or Jammie Pierre hucking 100 ft cliffs (those guys don't want their skis to release). Two seperate issues. I think everyone believes the info you posted on DIN settings for pro level skis, however in this case it just is not applicable, we're not trying to bash your info, we're just questioning the setting that it was applied in.

Chris_skis

I have a question for you guys about DIN settings.

I turn 50 this year, and magically, my DIN seting will go down a full number.

I do not think that I will ski less agressively this year than last. Why is the 50 year old setting change is done? And why can't I keep the present setting since I do not have any issues with my DIN setings?

LVNLARG

Chris_skis said:
I have a question for you guys about DIN settings.

I turn 50 this year, and magically, my DIN seting will go down a full number.

I do not think that I will ski less agressively this year than last. Why is the 50 year old setting change is done? And why can't I keep the present setting since I do not have any issues with my DIN setings?

Dare I answer or don't I? I've already said I won't :oops: The drop is due to your bones becoming weaker due to your age. This factor is more prominent in women. Due to the "supposed" weaker bones the amount of twisting your leg can handle before breaking is less...therefore the Din must drop. Truth of the matter is....this weakness in bones starts at different ages for different people due to genetics...and only a good doctor can tell you if it applies to you yet.

LVNLARG

salida said:
I think there has been a lot of confusion in this thread, Just because steve is an excellent skier by no means dictates pro or race status. That has been addressed, I think we can all conclude that the problem was not his setting of DIN 8 but the miss setting of 7.

LVNLARG, as for your last post, you have no inhabitions to insult the boards here, that is fairly obvious, we're all a bunch of weekend warriors. Personally, I have worked in Atomic's race stock room and seen their protocols for binding mounting and adjusting, and on a race/pro level much of things you have said are correct... However, that is not exactly the problem mentioned above. There is a difference between a strong NE Jay Peak glade skier and Bode Miller racing a 90mph or Jammie Pierre hucking 100 ft cliffs (those guys don't want their skis to release). Two seperate issues. I think everyone believes the info you posted on DIN settings for pro level skis, however in this case it just is not applicable, we're not trying to bash your info, we're just questioning the setting that it was applied in.

To answer what I highlighted....that is the difference between adding 3 columns or 5 and was addressed by both myself in an earlier post in this thread and the binding manufacturers. Maybe I over rated him ? Maybe he's not as good/fast as me to warrant a level 4 for free riding? This I don't know. What I do know is due to the revolution of parabolic skis and terrain parks with mamoth jumps... far.. far more people are exerting Pro level forces during the course of regular skiing. I reach terminal speed (The speed at which wind resistance limits you from going any faster) in the course of free skiing these days much more often than I did back in the days of straight skis. Seemingly no one is willing to take this into account and I'm sure it's resulting in more pre-release accidents.

sledhaulingmedic

An ok Doctor and a Bone density test might be a better way to go. Good luck getting your health plan to cover it. (At least in the states. Maybe it's different in the Great White North.)

I've had my clamps set at 8 since I quit racing and I NEVER pre-release. (I have a few pounds on Riv, but am a little shorter/older.)

LVNLARG

Chris_skis said:
Thanks for the information.

I just find 50 a bit young especially if you in shape. I am worried about early release.

Chris,

I think your bone density actually doesn't have anything to do with being in shape....I'm not 100% positive on that though. From what I know (off the top of my head) heredity genetics and diet are the determiners. A calcium rich diet is about all you can do to hold off what your genetic code has pre-determined for you for as long as posible. What was said about Bone Density is 100% correct...that is what I was sending you to the doc for. Pre-Release sucks however and it was my contention that a Pro level skier is much more likely to blow a ski at speed causing injury than wipe out and not release causing injury (That's been my experience anyway). My worst accident was caused due to pre realease from hitting a large death cookie (chunk of frozen snow left lying on a trail from the groomers track) with one ski while doing about 60 mph sending me sailing. If my binding had not realeased nothing would have happend. :beer:

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think that this thread has spun out of control...the whole point was a regular saying, "hey, I'm hurt and can't ski...bummer huh?" And we were probably to reply, "sorry to hear...get well soon..." It would be on the radar for a few days and then disappear.

I don't think that it was intended to be a debate on DIN, who's right, who's an expert, etc, etc. :roll:

So now to get back on track: GET WELL Riv and take care of Burke for me! :beer:

LVNLARG

thetrailboss said:
I think that this thread has spun out of control...the whole point was a regular saying, "hey, I'm hurt and can't ski...bummer huh?" And we were probably to reply, "sorry to hear...get well soon..." It would be on the radar for a few days and then disappear.

I don't think that it was intended to be a debate on DIN, who's right, who's an expert, etc, etc. :roll:

So now to get back on track: GET WELL Riv and take care of Burke for me! :beer:

Actually...I think the get well part was covered and it became the Din thread due to Din being a very important skiing safety issue in which now people are asking intelligent questions. When you're sitting in the base lodge and your buddy comes in with a broken arm do you say "get well" and go mute ? I sure hope not. :blink:

NHpowderhound

I got a friggin headache reading this thread. Makes me not want to respond to the DIN thing.
Get well soon Riv, when you're better we'll do a Jay/Burke "i'll show you mine if you show me yours" personal exchange. You better ski in front though! :lol:
I'll bet you're going to get real good typing one handed!
:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
((*
*))NHPH

skibum1321

I am 6'2" 180 and have my bindings set on 9, which by the ski shops is a 3+. Since I have had this setting, they have never pre-released on me. I think 11 is a little excessive, although I'm not questioning the way the chart is being read.

Here's to a speedy recovery. :beer:

Referring to everyone here as a weekend warrior is pretty harsh. I don't know too many weekend warriors that are obsessed about skiing as most people here. Just because we don't work in the industry or try to learn all the tech behind it doesn't make someone a weekend warrior. I'd rather be out on the slopes in my free time than reading about binding dins.