• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

If you had to move . . .

Geoff

What part of Tahoe did you move to Trekchick?

Have you taken advantage of it's reasonably close proximity to the Bay Area?

That to me would be a great attraction to that area over say Colorado or Utah. If for some odd reason I wanted a break from winter, you've got it in a 4 hour car ride away.

I don't think you quite understand the geography.

If you live at 7,000 feet in Tahoe, you can get to warm weather in 45 minutes by driving down the hill to Reno. I have friends with a house on the golf course above Truckee. They have another house in Reno and use that as their tax address. You can ski and golf on the same day.

San Francisco is one helluva traffic jam from Tahoe. At 2am, it's 4 hours. At any normal time, it's a much longer drive since east bay is such a traffic disaster.

deadheadskier

Staff member
No, I realize Reno is much warmer than Tahoe. It's just more the thought of going to a warmer climate by the ocean. Not that San Francisco would be considered 'tropical' any time of the year. But 70 and sunny and looking out at the ocean is certainly a nice brief change in wintertime for a short burst.

Cannonball

I'm tied to the ocean for work (and because it's my first love). But I couldn't go too far from the mountains and winter. So that pretty much leaves the Northeast and the Northwest. If we're talking states my list goes like this (in order): NH, ME, WA, OR, CA, AK

deadheadskier

Staff member
Island Creek by chance? Just a guess as I've enjoyed many of their Oysters and I see you're from the South Shore

deadheadskier

Staff member
Been meaning to get into your restaurant in Boston. Hear it's amazing!

Super Cool concept to have farmers in your case oysters, open a kick ass restaurant featuring your products. People love it and it's also a way of selling the product at a much larger mark up than wholesale.

I think a larger meat farming operation in New England, such as Wolf Neck in Maine, would kill it opening a steak house in Boston.

Cannonball

Thanks man. It's had a great response. I think people I getting very tuned into local food from trusted sources and sustainable practices. We take a lot of pride in what we do and having that direct connection to the consumer is really exciting.

The meat idea is a good one. I've been impressed by the number of CSAs and CSA-restaurant pairings that have been cropping up. Even some innovative stuff going on with fishing CSAs

PS: I should be clear on the Island Creek thing....I don't own IC or the restaurant. I am just one of several farmers that make up the Island Creek team.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Right on. I forget his name, but I briefly met a fellow who works for IC at a party at Jean George's restaurant Market in Boston. Tall fellow with long blond hair.

abc

Wow! A 3 year old thread, resurrected today! (and I happenn to see it, even though I only visit once a week or so in the summer)

I would ONLY move if I HAD TO!

I choosed to live where I do AFTER having lived in California! Yet, if I had to move, my first choice would still be California! Either the Bay area or LA/San Diego area would be tolerable.

Within the country, California is my second best choice. Followed by:

(California)
Utah (SLC)
Wyoming (Jackson)
Oregan (Portland)
Washington (Seatle)

But in reality, I don't HAVE TO move. So I won't move to ANY on my list above.

If I move, it would be out of the country. Top of the list would be Vancouver! Although Calgary isn't too far behind. And Zurich and Geneva are also high on the list. ;)

Cannonball

Moe Ghoul

I'm heading up to VT in the next few weeks to walk thru some properties. Cambridge/Jefferson, Hyde Park, Morrisville/morristown areas. Plan to get a place by year end, , establish residency (Voting, register car, etc.) and switch our BC/BS plan up there. Our premiums get cut by 2/3 switching to VT BC/BS Catamount plan compared to what I'm paying in PA right now. That's a modest mortgage payment. Might as well put the money towards that.

Trekchick

What part of Tahoe did you move to Trekchick?

Have you taken advantage of it's reasonably close proximity to the Bay Area?

That to me would be a great attraction to that area over say Colorado or Utah. If for some odd reason I wanted a break from winter, you've got it in a 4 hour car ride away.
Yes, I've been to SF three times since I've lived out here. LOVE Fisherman's Warf. I'm not much of a city girl so visiting SF is something I like to take in small doses, though its a gorgeous place.

I don't think you quite understand the geography.

If you live at 7,000 feet in Tahoe, you can get to warm weather in 45 minutes by driving down the hill to Reno. I have friends with a house on the golf course above Truckee. They have another house in Reno and use that as their tax address. You can ski and golf on the same day.

San Francisco is one helluva traffic jam from Tahoe. At 2am, it's 4 hours. At any normal time, it's a much longer drive since east bay is such a traffic disaster.
I actually live in the NW edge of Reno, just 30 minutes from Truckee, 35 min from Northstar, 40 min from Squaw, 45 min from Alpine Meadows.........(you get the idea) and I have the benefit of a lot(whole lot) lower cost of living.

No, I realize Reno is much warmer than Tahoe. It's just more the thought of going to a warmer climate by the ocean. Not that San Francisco would be considered 'tropical' any time of the year. But 70 and sunny and looking out at the ocean is certainly a nice brief change in wintertime for a short burst.
I work at Start Haus in the winter, then switch to Snowind Sports in the summer, which has worked out well. I get to be a ski bum in the winter and a beach bum in the summer, selling wind surf stuff, bathing suits, sunscreen and pool toys. Heck, I even get to wear a bikini and surf shorts to work!
Yesterday it was 80* and sunny down here (in the high desert) and 65* in Truckee.
Today I mt bike, and tomorrow I'm driving 3 hrs down to Mammoth to ski for 3 days.
The Fourth of July weekend, I'll be swimming one day, and Skiing the next at Squaw......
Ahhhhhh, life is (indeed) very good!

I'm tied to the ocean for work (and because it's my first love). But I couldn't go too far from the mountains and winter. So that pretty much leaves the Northeast and the Northwest. If we're talking states my list goes like this (in order): NH, ME, WA, OR, CA, AK
SF is a good option if that's a priority. Lots of Bay people come up every weekend and are almost considered Tahoe Locals!

snoseek

I think Reno is definately the way to go if you want to call tahoe home. Cheap as hell and better taxes, so close.

I will live in Tahoe at some point, really like it there.

Geoff

I took a hard look at relocating to Tahoe in the late-1990's. With a good airport in Reno, it's a pretty good spot for a telecommuter.