• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Incoming!!!!!

wa-loaf

Fortunately I'm working from home tomorrow and won't have to deal with the traffic chaos the first snow of the year will do to the commute.

4aprice

1st "Snow Shower" prediction for down here tomorrow am but no accumulation expected, but what is incoming is a nice shot of artic air. Bastardi on his twitter feed today showed a model prediction of more below average temps coming up for the rest of the month. Thanksgiving has a shot of being "not too bad".

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

dlague

I think this prediction is another bust! Still keeps the excitement going though! At best a few dustings!

wa-loaf

First snow experience for my 16YO daughter tomorrow...in a car that I know won't be good in the snow. :roll:

I'm going through that as well......

Took my drivers test in a snowstorm. On the way there I spun out 180 degrees, needless to say my dad had white knuckles on the dashboard. Passed the test though!

jack97

First snow experience for my 16YO daughter tomorrow...in a car that I know won't be good in the snow. :roll:

I'm going through that as well......

Took my drivers test in a snowstorm. On the way there I spun out 180 degrees, needless to say my dad had white knuckles on the dashboard. Passed the test though!

Hammer (maybe) and I are going through the mandatory 40 hrs driving with a guardian that all junior operators currently have to go through. The motivation is to have the kids get as much driving time with a "responsible" adult. What I and most parents in the same situation do is have the kid drive to school in the morning, once there, kids get out, parent goes behind the wheel and drives to work.

Needless to say.... I am dreading the first icy commute to school, I trust my daughter on a near vacant street but you start adding more first time drivers heading toward the same location, that's a recipe for disaster.

wa-loaf

Needless to say.... I am dreading the first icy commute to school, I trust my daughter on a near vacant street but you start adding more first time drivers heading toward the same location, that's a recipe for disaster.

Gotta do the old take em out in a snowy parking lot training. Let them get the feel of a car sliding and what happens when you slam on the brakes.

dlague

Hammer (maybe) and I are going through the mandatory 40 hrs driving with a guardian that all junior operators currently have to go through. The motivation is to have the kids get as much driving time with a "responsible" adult. What I and most parents in the same situation do is have the kid drive to school in the morning, once there, kids get out, parent goes behind the wheel and drives to work.

Well, our son got experience first hand what going off the road means! Last winter he was leaving Pats Peak (works there as a ski instructor) on one of the powder days and was heading to another job! The road conditions were slushy and he thought he could pass everyone because he had a 4 wheel drive Subaru! 300 dollars later he got pulled out and was late for the other job! He just the car about a week earlier and was 17 at the time! He was lucky that the snow banks were fresh and soft! We now have AAA!

hammer

Gotta do the old take em out in a snowy parking lot training. Let them get the feel of a car sliding and what happens when you slam on the brakes.
Yup, didn't get that lesson in last winter.

Saw maybe a few snowflakes this morning. Hoping that the brief cold snap will be good for snowmaking.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Quick check in from the mini-micro-snowstorm this morning here in the flattest of flatlands. We were buried! Awesome 20 minutes of the stuff, sticking to nothing, but frightening the neighborhood into putting snow tires on for the ride around town. No joke.

Why, oh why must they blare out this 1-2" forecast stuff? It just frightens the already frightened. :(

At least I didn't see any 4x4's tooling around with plow blades on.

4aprice

JB tweeted the cfsv2 this morning showing below avg temps for the next 45 days. Seeing as we are going into a warm up now says to me that there just might be some good cold air in the pipeline coming this way. (fingers crossed)

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

BenedictGomez

I'm getting pretty excited about the potential for this winter. Lots of circumstantial evidence starting to pile up that this might very well be a > average snowfall year here in the east.