• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Indy Ski Pass

deadheadskier

Staff member
If people are pissed about blackouts, can't they just buy the Indy Plus for $379? That still seams dirt cheap to me.

p_levert

If people are pissed about blackouts, can't they just buy the Indy Plus for $379? That still seams dirt cheap to me.
Depends on your personal situation. If you live in eastern PA and can buy an Epic NE Value Pass for $479, I would rather have the unlimited days at a bunch of resorts near me. Location, location, location.

machski

Depends on your personal situation. If you live in eastern PA and can buy an Epic NE Value Pass for $479, I would rather have the unlimited days at a bunch of resorts near me. Location, location, location.
OK, so maybe the indy isn't a great pass for that set. You only get two days per rea and Epic NE Value gives unlimited visits or some wih blackout but otherwise unlimited vs just two days. IMHO they are not an apples to apples pass comparison and thus will cater to a different clientel set. Other than being slightly close in price point, they differ drastically. Oh yeah, the President of Indy has even stated his "pass" isn't a season pass, its a discount pass good at a bunch of areas.

Tonyr

I view the current Indy pass as a fantastic add-on to an Ikon or Epic pass. As the pass gains more and more steam I'd love to see an option where it morphs into a 5 to 7 day pass at their participating resorts putting it in similar company to the Ikon pass. Not sure if that would ever make financial sense but I love to roll with just an Indy Pass all season long one day.

p_levert

I view the current Indy pass as a fantastic add-on to an Ikon or Epic pass. As the pass gains more and more steam I'd love to see an option where it morphs into a 5 to 7 day pass at their participating resorts putting it in similar company to the Ikon pass. Not sure if that would ever make financial sense but I love to roll with just an Indy Pass all season long one day.
Personally, I was hoping it would morph into another MaxPass, which gave 5 days at a whole bunch of good places, including ORDA. So, yeah, I am disappointed.

machski

Personally, I was hoping it would morph into another MaxPass, which gave 5 days at a whole bunch of good places, including ORDA. So, yeah, I am disappointed.
Would you both still enjoy your two hoped for options if that same pass and areas cost $999? Because with that many areas on it, that would be where the pass price would HAVE to go to make financial sense. At a minimum in my estimation. No area on that pass would be happy to have skiers five to seven days at like $40/day (or whatever Indy redemtion works out to). Would need to be much closer to rack for that many potential visits.

Tonyr

Would you both still enjoy your two hoped for options if that same pass and areas cost $999? Because with that many areas on it, that would be where the pass price would HAVE to go to make financial sense. At a minimum in my estimation. No area on that pass would be happy to have skiers five to seven days at like $40/day (or whatever Indy redemtion works out to). Would need to be much closer to rack for that many potential visits.
I'd be all in, that's what a full Ikon pass costs.

PAabe

I do agree with some of the points about how this was originally conceived (as discussed by Doug on Storm Skiing) as a pass for the midwestern skier that did one or two trips per year - as noted you probably now need 6 days rather than 4 to reach payoff

That being said with the density it has now there is no way you can expect ski areas acting as independent agents on this pass to take, for example, their $16 share on 1/10 of 85% of $199 for a skier that uses 10 days on the pass, on weekends and holidays, when the window rate is $70+

dblskifanatic

I would hope so, but I don't think the smaller CO areas have to do too much to generate revenue given the population explosion there. They banded together a while back to form the GEMS card - basically 2fer1 deals. A-basin & loveland were even on it last season.

We have purchased the GEMS card for the past 5 years and used it to ski Eldora, Monarch (later was part of the A Basin Pass), Loveland and Cooper. Used A Basin when friends visited since we had a pass. We even skied Powderhorn and Sunlight with that card as well. You kind of get bored with Breck, Keystone, Vail, Beaver Creek and A Basin. Actually we used to get away from those places on the busy days with the GEMS Card.

The Powder Alliance is pretty cool if you buy season passes at Loveland, Monarch or Cooper - also Powderhorn and Sunlight. Interesting though - Monnarch gives you 3 days access to A Basin and Copper that the others do not do.

There are so many relationship in Colorado that they probably do not need to leverage Indy.

zyk

Thinking hard about it. 2 5 day trips, one VT and one NH plus day trips to snow ridge, b east, and catamount seems like a win. Just got back from mittersill (hiking, not skiing) and would really like to ski cannon.

skimagic

Actually it is the Powder Alliance and Loveland, Monarch, Cooper, Powderhorn, Sunlight all participate
How did you like Powderhorn and Sunlight? I think Sunlight is getting a new lift for some steep stuff? We've talked about going out to grand jct. for a multisport trip for a few years now, stopping at those 2 and Loveland.

taul

Just ordered my Indy and Ikon passes for next year. With the renewal discounts and deferral from Ikon it wasn't too much for more Northeast Skiing options than I can get to.

Tonyr

From Boston it takes 5 hours to get to Whiteface 4 hours to Gore and 3.45 to Bellayre. I don't think that's so bad.

machski

From Boston it takes 5 hours to get to Whiteface 4 hours to Gore and 3.45 to Bellayre. I don't think that's so bad.
Great, I drive 4 or 5 hours, can I stay slopeside? No, I have to drive back and forth to lodging? No thanks, especially with the quality options so much closer to Boston.

KustyTheKlown

weird take to not want to ski gore and whiteface if you had the access for free. they are both great big (for the east) mountains. gore has more marked glades than anyone else i can think of, and whiteface on the right day is incredible. gore is a bit in the middle of nowhere, but whiteface is adjacent to lake placid which is perhaps the best winter town in the northeast. its easy and inexpensive to base out of placid and ski both places. slopeside lodging, lol, who are you scrooge mcduck? skiing in your god damn money vault

1619738795015.png