• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

It's Better To Drink Beer After Exercise Than Water

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
It's on the internet, so you know it must be true...not that I think anyone here needs any convincing anyway... Full article here : http://www.clevelandleader.com/node/3467 Of course the article is from 11/07

Researchers at Granada University in Spain have come across a discovery that will undoubtedly please athletes and sports enthusiasts - a pint of beer post-workout or match is better at rehydrating the human body than water. Professor Manuel Garzon, a member of Granada's medical faculty, made the finding after tests on 25 students over several months. Researchers believe that it is the sugars, salts, and bubbles in a beer that may help people absorb fluids more quickly.
Workout :beer: Beer

drjeff

Makes sense in a way, since many a sports physiologist will recommend liquids + carbs post workout to a) rehydrate and b) help rebuild the glyocgen stores in your muscles that you just depleted in the workout. I'd imagine that 1 pint of something like say a Guiness post workout out wouldn't be a bad thing. My problem would be NOT having pint #2 (or 3) and suddenly consuming more liquid calories than I just worked off :rolleyes:

mondeo

But then there's the dehydrating effect of alcohol to consider...

Not that I'm against the practice, of course. I wonder how #9 holds up in a camelback.

drjeff

Not that I'm against the practice, of course. I wonder how #9 holds up in a camelback.

There's actually more and more research out there that shows that while alcohol does indeed act as a diuretic, under just about all circumstances, you'll end up NOT peeing out all of the alcohol and have a net positive fluid gain - same thing with caffienated beverages. Sure, non alcoholic/non caffienated beverages will be more efficient at rehyrdating, BUT if you go with the post workout beer, you will have more fluids in you (even after the seal breaks and you fall victim to "tiny bladder syndrome")

Last edited:

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com

I've always been afraid to do that out of fear of drinking a camelpak full of sea monkeys after a long bike ride...maybe not so much of an issue when skiing.

Greg

Staff member
I'm once again testing this theory tonight, and it seems to be right on. :beer: