• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak - 2/12 & 2/13

crombie

Date(s) Skied: Sat. 2/12 & Sun. 2/13

Resort or Ski Area: Jay Peak

Conditions: Powder (lots)

Trip Report: My wife and I planned a vacation to Jay back in Christmas, but it ended up raining the day before so we were able to reschedule with The English Rose Inn for this past weekend. By concidence there was a great snowstorm right before we left, so thank-you weather. In the second part of this trip we went to Stratton which I'll leave for another trip report.

Got up to Jay in the afternoon on Friday, drove by the mountain. Sat. we got up early had a great breakfast looking out at the falling snow and ventured out. Since we'd never been there before, we got lost a bunch of times figuring out where to go. Jumped into some glades but by that point the easy ones in the middle mountain had been visited by everyone else.

It was crowded. I heard the most crowded day at Jay since 1987. It was the first weekend day after a big powder drop and it was snowing to boot. So it was crazy. Long lines and everything.

I found Beaver Pond Glades and it's partner Beyond Beaver Pond Glades and had a great time. Lots of snow and I was able to find some mostly untracked areas (mostly where the trees were closer together!).

My wife had a good time too (she's an intermediate), but complained about the blacks on the west side of the mountain that lead to blues. Since she wasn't sure about the blacks, and I ended up not doing them, then she couldn't find out what the blues were like.

The snow was a lot of fun both days, I especially enjoyed Sunday when there were a lot less people and nearly no wait on any lift. My wife and I took Bushwacker glades down over 5 times, it was a lot of fun to do together.

On Sunday, I got somewhat "lost" off of Northwest Passage which led to some other glade which I kept going off of, and finally lost track of. Certain I was not lost (but somewhere in between two trails), I managed to find my way out after a lot of quick turns and branch blocking. I did manage to find some GPS waypoint sign which marked the area as Further Northwest Glades or something like that, I forget really.

Good times. Glad it snowed hard before we went because it probably wouldn't have been good.

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
crombie said:
On Sunday, I got somewhat "lost" off of Northwest Passage which led to some other glade which I kept going off of, and finally lost track of. Certain I was not lost (but somewhere in between two trails), I managed to find my way out after a lot of quick turns and branch blocking.
I took NW Passage, then turned left into the woods almost immediately and dropped into some steep and fairly sketchy woods. It dropped for a while then mellowed out into the bottom of Everglades, quite nice eventually. There was about 28" of untracked snow down there, worth the few scratches on the skis to get there.

-dave-

crombie

David Metsky said:
I took NW Passage, then turned left into the woods almost immediately and dropped into some steep and fairly sketchy woods. It dropped for a while then mellowed out into the bottom of Everglades, quite nice eventually. There was about 28" of untracked snow down there, worth the few scratches on the skis to get there.

Wish I had a better idea of where I was, but I don't have the map anymore and Jay's website seems to be down. There was a lot of snow though!!!

I have no clue how I got in there, but there had been others before me... Towards the end I was skiing so fast through some dense trees and branches just following everyone else's path :)

I ended up coming out in Kokomo though. I had seen someone else coming out of there as well earlier that day.

thetrailboss

Staff member
crombie said:
It was crowded. I heard the most crowded day at Jay since 1987. It was the first weekend day after a big powder drop and it was snowing to boot. So it was crazy. Long lines and everything.

Sounds like Jay on a Saturday. :x I've had a few of those days....the trails get scraped off by 10:30am. Lots of Quebecois come down and since it finally snowed, all of those Jay passholders wanted to hit freshies in the trees.