• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak - 3/18

skijay

Conditions: Windy, windy, windy but about 40 degrees and cloudy
Sticky snow, but in the PM as it got colder the snow firmed up nicely

I took advantage of the $25 ticket on Friday & I am 25 minutes away. I knew there was going to be high winds and possibly some rain but I would be heading back to CT Saturday and wanted to ski at least one day.

I got dropped off at Stateside at 10:00am, booted up and headed to the Jet triple. The Bonni quad was not spinning nor anything but the Metro quad, T-bar and the Village double. As I approached the bridge people were leaving the base area of the Jet and yelling to people to turn back. Come to find out that once they unload the lift they were shutting it down. Great & I got dropped off here, I am skiing alone and my ride is off over the border and I am here to 4pm to get picked up.

The T-bar stopped running due to maintenance issues. No problem, I will take the shuttle to tramside (there are signs for it) After waiting 15 minutes watching the exodus of people getting into their cars or hiking up the Chalet Meadow (T-bar trail) I decided to follow suit up the hill. Never did see a shuttle.

I make it over to the Metro quad and did three runs from it. Each run the lift line got shorter and shorter. I was told by a couple of skiers that Jay was giving refunds - that may explain where everybody went. After three runs down I discovered Bushwacker. I thought it was higher up on the hill.

I had an absolute blast doing laps on this. I am not much of a glade skier but loved making my path down through the woods. I did learn rather quickly to stay on a path from previous skiers or boarders, even though the tracks were old. The snow was sticky and wet from the rain and any "untouched" snow would make your skis stop. I made a few paths of my own and it got better and better each time.

Sometimes you just make the best out of what happens. Yes, I wanted to ski the summit or even stateside. I only paid $25 and did enjoy myself. I could have worked instead!

I broke for a snack at the coffee shop in the Tram Haus. I was a little in shock and awe when the price of my iced mocha and a ham and cheese croissant was $6.76. I asked her if she got both items. I told her I usually spend $18 for a juice, chips, a wrap and a brownie at Mount Snow for lunch. I could not believe how inexpensive it was for the food here & how good it was. Judging by the price per night to stay at the Tram Haus - I would figure the food would be much more.

I posted some piucs.
1. The "exodus" walking up near the T-bar at Stateside
2. Bushwacker
3. Finding a way down
4. Looking at the summit around 4pm as I was heading back to get my stuff in the Stateside Lodge
5. Looking at the Jet triple trails