• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak Conceptual Development Plan (2011-2016)

JPTracker

Over the last three years, they added snowmaking capabilities, replaced the T-bar with the taxi Quad, added modules in the terrain park and built the new carpet (with the Disney figures) near the learning center. All of these improvements are squarely targeted at families and beginners.

What have they done for the expert/tree skier ? Nothing. From a pure skiing perspective, what we got from all the investments are longer lift lines, more rapidly tracked snow (while these are still much better than at other resorts, this decline is real) and the threat to butcher the orchard.

I'm kinda hoping that the 6-pack delay/cancellation is somehow linked to investments in the West Bowl to be announced but I'm not holding my breath. We'll keep exploring the backcountry in the mean time.

They may have added snowmaking capabilities for the beginners but they have taken away from the expert when they removed snowmaking from JFK and Exhibition so they could add it over by the new beginner lifts.

What have they done for the expert/tree skier? Only taken things away from us to improve the beginner side of things.

fbrissette

They may have added snowmaking capabilities for the beginners but they have taken away from the expert when they removed snowmaking from JFK and Exhibition so they could add it over by the new beginner lifts.

What have they done for the expert/tree skier? Only taken things away from us to improve the beginner side of things.

My understanding is that you are correct. They are not able to make more snow. They simply added the option to make snow on other trails (which happen to be mostly on beginner terrain). Was just trying to point out that some money was indeed put on the ski hill.

BigJay

SNowmaking on Exhibition was a joke... pumping a glacier on a trail that has a great pitch and good snow was useless. Yes, GoPros and Jibbers were bombing down the carpet of ice where the groomer hung out... but why waste money like that when you have the Green Mountain boys with same pitch and angle next to it... Exhibition is fun with bumps and natural snow... We were getting a kick of riding the double fall-line under the lift... but sometimes chunk of chopped-up ice was hiding under natural snow. Overall, a good move to put the man-made stuff somewhere else.

We rode the mountain this weekend. Took a lap on the Jet after a day of riding the trails in the valley below. Stateside is completely flat now. Base of Bonnie is gone. So is the lodge and patrol house. Everything is all cleared up. Looks like nothing ever stood there. Towers of the Bonnie and cable are still there.

I don't know why but they took out a whole lot of trees near 242 between the two entrance (main entrance and Jet entrance)... condos? more lodging on along the road?

JPTracker

I agree on Exhibition but not JFK. Used to be one of our favorite runs was JFK to lower Everglade. Now unless you like skiing moguls with very sketchy entrance this was no longer an option.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Which is why, In a perfect world (in my opinion) they would keep the Bonnie in place as well to act as a backup lift for the new Powerline lift (at least for the first season) then, even if the powerline lift doesn't live up its great expectations of "with-standing-wind-ness" then they can keep it forever as a backup on those windy days. 8)

Having both lifts would be hard to pull off. Their footprints overlap a lot at the bottom of the mtn. The only way to have both located there would be to either...

A: push the base terminal of the Bonnie further up the hill than the already maligned "too far away from the lodge" Powerline base terminal.

or

B: Remove the chair storage barn for the Powerline from the plan and put the Bonnie terminal almost right next to the Powerline terminal.

P.S. I still feel the top terminal area of the Powerline was really going to screw up the outlet of the trail from the Face Chutes. There would need to be a pretty significant fence at the bottom to keep people from launching off the 25' bank into the unload area.

Last edited:

gregnye

I don't know what to say. Very interesting and very depressing all at the same time time. All my saved-up optimism is being shattered.
I know! I've put up with all this other nonsense getting built in the hopes that a new high speed lift would come soon. Jay peak, you don't understand!! I spent hours in the summer reading this thread, planning, hoping and praying (ok, i'm being a little dramatic :)) but still.

Oh well, a whole 'nother year of suspense.

Facebook, the source of all current news, reveals the truth:

Question on JPR FB page this morning:

Hello, is the new 6 pack detachable chairlift being installed this year or is the Bonaventure quad just being relocated slightly? It was discussed before there would be a 6 pack installed this summer but now everyone is saying that has been cancelled. Can you clarify what is going on please?

Steve W replies:

The lift installation has been postponed. The existing Bonnie load is just moving up a bit.

thetrailboss

Staff member
This is interesting. Any more word as to why the delay? As said, money? Rethinking the layout? I'd keep the Bonnie and add another lift to the Powerline as said.

tgladden

Personal response from JP

Without a doubt, this is the 64 million dollar question.

Sent them a message on their Facebook messenger:
Rumors abound that the 6 Pack has been postponed and the Bonnie is being moved up the hill a bit? Any clarification on this? Why the delay on the new lift?
#waitingforskiimprovements

2:16pm
Jay Peak Resort
The Bonnie's loading zone will be pushed up for now. Stateside base area development is the current focus and goal that we are pushing to complete. Once that is in order, rest assured a new lift is in the plans. Thank you.
-JPR

Same old song and dance.

:angry::angry:

fbrissette

Sent them a message on their Facebook messenger:
Rumors abound that the 6 Pack has been postponed and the Bonnie is being moved up the hill a bit? Any clarification on this? Why the delay on the new lift?
#waitingforskiimprovements

2:16pm
Jay Peak Resort
The Bonnie's loading zone will be pushed up for now. Stateside base area development is the current focus and goal that we are pushing to complete. Once that is in order, rest assured a new lift is in the plans. Thank you.
-JPR

Same old song and dance.

:angry::angry:

Certainly did not answer the question. I fail to see why installing a new lift (which is very likely done by outside contractors) is in conflict with building a hotel. They had no problem putting a new lift a few months ago while building the Learning center, a new parking lot, the Jay store, three new condo buildings and a few dozens additional golf cottage units.

I doubt they are rethinking their development plan, so clearly, they have decided the new lift did not make financial sense for this year (or ever ?). A bit scary considering the good snow year and increase in skier-days. Personally, I like the Bonnie as it is. My beef with this postponement is that it signals that all priorities are for the EB5 program and that mountain improvements are a very distant second and that the elusive West Bowl is no closer than it was 10 years ago.

fbrissette

Stateside base area development is the current focus and goal that we are pushing to complete. Once that is in order, rest assured a new lift is in the plans.

Hopefully it won't be in the plans for as long as the West Bowl.

1998 Version
Installing the new Green Mountain Flyer is the current focus and goal that we are pushing to complete. Once that is in order, rest assured the West Bowl in the plans.

2007 Version
Tramhouse lodge development is the current focus and goal that we are pushing to complete. Once that is in order, rest assured the West Bowl in the plans.

2010 Version
The aquaparc development is the current focus and goal that we are pushing to complete. Once that is in order, rest assured the West Bowl in the plans.

ScottySkis

Hopefully it won't be in the plans for as long as the West Bowl.

1998 Version
Installing the new Green Mountain Flyer is the current focus and goal that we are pushing to complete. Once that is in order, rest assured the West Bowl in the plans.

2007 Version
Tramhouse lodge development is the current focus and goal that we are pushing to complete. Once that is in order, rest assured the West Bowl in the plans.

2010 Version
The aquaparc development is the current focus and goal that we are pushing to complete. Once that is in order, rest assured the West Bowl in the plans.
Is the west bowl a real bowl like out west?

fbrissette

Is the west bowl a real bowl like out west?

I wish it was. Great potential for tree skiing, sheltered from the winds, probably the most snow. What it would do is spread the crowds and provide a viable alternative for windy days when Flyer and Tram are closed.

ScottySkis

Nahh but it would be a "gold mine" for Jay Peak, if they were ever to expand!! Go west!!

I have I love the bowls, Gore has a lot of Bowls I can see potential by the high Peaks quad, sorry for thread hike, sorry Jay is not not improving the snow enthusiasts hill, I need to try Jay next winter.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
This is interesting. Any more word as to why the delay? As said, money? Rethinking the layout? I'd keep the Bonnie and add another lift to the Powerline as said.

Keeping both would be difficult due to overlapping footprints at the bottom of the mtn. The base for the Powerline 6 can't really be pushed to the left in the picture below due to a stream (part of the reason for the Act 250 permit delay). The Bonnie base would have to be pushed up pas the Powerline chair barn. This is possible, but it would make access from the Jet side very difficult. Even trying to ski to the lift from Paradise Meadows/Angels Wiggle difficult. Take out the chair barn and they would have more options.

Note: I'm done wasting time thinking about this lift until Jay releases clearer information about its plans.