• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

JAY PEAK RESORT: 2005 Alpinezone Ski Area Challenge

thetrailboss

Staff member
NHpowderhound said:
Raising the Hotel Jay?! when the heck is that supposed to happen?
((*
*))NHPH

I saw that as well...wondering if that meant no more Hotel Jay or bigger and better facility?

dmc

Bob R said:
He seemed very direct in his answers. Admitting areas that were not managed properly.

He's a fellow Deadhead... Not that it matters... But maybe..
I always enjoyed Steve's posts on the old KChat

NHpowderhound

Trailboss wrote
I saw that as well...wondering if that meant no more Hotel Jay or bigger and better facility?[quote/]
I would imagine a new Hotel with more amenities. Hopefully it's not going to be a "Grand Summit". Keep it afordable.
I dont stay at the hotel anyway, go see Ursula, Lars and Debbie at the Snowline Lodge. www.snowlinelodge.com
((*
*))NHPH

GrizzlyFD

Overall I thought his responses were articulate and informative. He seemed to answer the questions as well as he could given that this is still a business and they can not disclose all future plans.

It's good to hear that the snow reporting accuracy will be improving, and that Jay is looking to improve the windy parts of the mountain. Some fences will go a long way in protecting some of the *deep* snow they get.

Steve@jpr

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Hotel Jay

Sorry all. By 'raising' the Hotel I mean, knocking her down, then building her up. Won't happen Friday or anything, but we need some serious help there and although it's absolutely perfect for Groups, it needs some attention in order to appeal to a retail market.

The Hotel won't be a gagging eyesore. Expect more understated and cool and less, um, Grand Hotel. Did I just say that out loud?

ctenidae

So, "razing" the Hotel, then "raising" the Hotel. Nice.

Isn't lodging the only thing ASC actually makes any money on? (And not everywhere at that)

awf170

i loved the response to my glade cleaning question, really suprised with the truthfulness :D defiantly have to get over there next year

NHpowderhound

Yeah, Steve seems alright. I was near panic stricken when I heard he was headed to Jay due to my dislike of Killington. But I also realize not all of what I hate about K had to do with him.
I liked his straightforward answers. I diddnt like how he answered EVERY question but mine! :lol:
Jay is notorious for wind. It cant be avoided. Show me a 'Noreaster and i'll show you a mountain shut down the day the storm pulls out. Why not put in some sort of surface lift for the upper mountain? Jay has enough of a die hard cult that would still use an exposed surface lift to get into the trees on a brutal day.
Oh well, with my Fritschis and skins I'm my own surface lift!
((*
*))NHPH

dmc

NHpowderhound said:
((*
*))NHPH

Low Speed Quads?

thetrailboss

Staff member
NHpowderhound said:
I liked his straightforward answers. I diddnt like how he answered EVERY question but mine!
Jay is notorious for wind. It cant be avoided. Show me a 'Noreaster and i'll show you a mountain shut down the day the storm pulls out. Why not put in some sort of surface lift for the upper mountain? Jay has enough of a die hard cult that would still use an exposed surface lift to get into the trees on a brutal day.
((*
*))NHPH

I thought he did?

NHpowderhound

The Trailboss wrote
I thought he did?
First let me say I should have included a " :lol: " icon after my last post on this subject. I understand Steve W. is not obligated to answer all questions and I GREATLY APPRECIATE his replies to any questions proposed by our forum members. I was mostly, did I say mostly, joking.
I was hoping for a more detailed response. Steve was nice enough to include his e-mail and I can always get answers through that avenue.
((*
*))NHPH

Brettski

Website
weblogs.sqlteam.com
Great stuff....

Need to do something about lifting up when the wind is up...I was there early April when a fron moved through....a foot on new powder and we couldn't get there...blue sky and all...

Asked ski patrol what the odds would be if they would open in the afternoon....zero to none, he said...

Miracle of miracles, they opened at 12:00..

What a great day...

Jay's a great mountain...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Brettski said:
Great stuff....

Need to do something about lifting up when the wind is up...I was there early April when a fron moved through....a foot on new powder and we couldn't get there...blue sky and all...

Asked ski patrol what the odds would be if they would open in the afternoon....zero to none, he said...

Miracle of miracles, they opened at 12:00..

What a great day...

Jay's a great mountain...

Wonder if they use the Sugarbush formula of calculating wind speed...has something to do with the number of skiers/riders who paid for the day :roll:

NYDrew

boooo raizing hotel jay. As a skiier I practially grew up in that building. Things like that is why I'm not at jay 2 weeks a year anymore. Its becoming way to corporate. One article in Powder magazine and an entire area of secret stashes is destroyed.

go back to old school, leave the hotel, dont touch the west bowl (although sticking a chair outthere wouldnt be a bad idea. Even the prices are now out of my range.