• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak VT, Saturday 11/24/07

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Conditions: Few inches on top of compressed FGR. Need good edges. Should have tuned up my gear first. Damn leaves....

Steve was there early - he can provide color. I didn't show until 1030.

Late start, parking lot full, tram base not operational. Had most trails open. Good 1st day, Blues scraped off by 11am. Blacks stayed pretty good, but as you got lower, there were a lot of water bridges you have to hop (er, leap) over. Solid icepack underneath, good foundation for the snows yet to come. Here are some pics, I'm pretty beat, long weekend. Taken from my cam phone.

First pics are on the way up there. Fiirst is passing the front of Cannon - looks pretty sad right now.

1124070830a.jpg

On I91
1124070922.jpg

Here is Jay:
1124071239.jpg

1124071240.jpg

1124071244.jpg

1124071421.jpg

1124071421c.jpg

1124071436.jpg

Gosh it gets dark early:
1124071440.jpg

Lots of folks went into the woods. that's ice on those pretzels. I'd say there was a good 1/4 inch on the trees.
1124071440a.jpg

By the way, for those asking about Whaleback. They had several snowmaking whales and hoses setup in trail. It looks like they are making an attempt, but there was no snow blowing when I drove by at 10am. I think the temps were getting too hot.

Last edited:

JPTracker

This was one of the best Thanksgiving weekends at Jay in a while.

Jay had received rain on Wednesday but on Friday / Friday night they received about 10 inches of new snow.

Only real snowmaking trail open was the Jet which got scraped off to ice quickly. The natural snow trail were in good shape considering the traffic. Lower Milk Run and Angles Wiggle were in good shape. Montrealer was in good shape on Saturday but by Sunday the last drop just before the fence was barely skiable.

In search of the 10" of powder that fell we hiked up the Northway and headed down Goat Run. Goat had knee deep drifts in spots but was mostly wind blown and solid ice. When we go to the top of Green Mountain Boys conditions still looked iffy so we went down Northwest Passage were we found packed powder with some powder. We came back out on to Green Mountain to find the trail mostly powder. Then to our surprise no tracks were headed into Lower Green Mountain and it was covered with 10" of undisturbed powder.

Attached are 2 pics. The first taken on Lower Green Mountain Boys and the second taken from the top of the Jet.

Greg

Staff member
Thanks for the pics, but how about sizing them down a bit? I'm at a 1280 pixel width screen resolution and I still had to scroll...

JPTracker

Thanks for the pics, but how about sizing them down a bit? I'm at a 1280 pixel width screen resolution and I still had to scroll...

I resized the to 800 x 600 or are you referring to billski pics. What resolution should they be?

Greg

Staff member
I resized the to 800 x 600 or are you referring to billski pics. What resolution should they be?

Sorry. I meant the OP's. 800 is good. Uploading to the AZ Gallery will result in a 800 pixel wide intermediary photo and a 1024 full size so that's an easy option as the resizing happens automatically.

Grassi21

Sorry. I meant the OP's. 800 is good. Uploading to the AZ Gallery will result in a 800 pixel wide intermediary photo and a 1024 full size so that's an easy option as the resizing happens automatically.

Hey, why are all the posts cut off on the right side....? ;-)